Author Topic: Location of playlist files  (Read 10267 times)

Timothy W

Trying to copy play lists from one computer to another. On first computer the playlist mbp files are in the musicbee playlist folder in the music library separate from the musicbee program   
If I copy them to the same folder in second computer they don't show in musicbee. If I copy them to the Playlist folder in the music program, They show in musicbee, but don't link to the music. Where should they be?   

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
You can set the location.

Ctrl+o > Library > playlists

Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You can also use the "relink music file paths" command to fix broken playlists, if the general file structure is the same but part of the root path has changed.

You might also find the backup & restore page on the wiki helpful.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Timothy W

Ok I now have the playlists installed and relinking the music worked when I finely got the file path correct. but now I find the custom tags data don't show when the playlist is opened. ( I have the column but it is blank). If I have the music library open all this data is there?       

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
What happens if you do a "locate in library" on one of the tracks in the playlist?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Timothy W

I tried the "locate in library" and could not find the track. I just looked in music bee library and discovered that none of the playlist tracks are there. Looked in windows explorer and the tracks are there in the music folders with the rest.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Maybe see what happens if you add the playlist tracks to your library? If you end up with duplicate tracks, you should be able to transfer the tags with one of the copy tags hotkeys.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Timothy W

I think for now I have it all working. I checked "on startup check for updated or missing files" in preferences; library; shut down and restarted and every thing seams to be working. A bit more use will prove it, if it is good I will leave it alone for a while and then do some more tiding up. Thanks every one for the help.  :)

Just_John

Here's where my problems started, when I had moved music from one computer to another:

I exported my playlists on the old computer, then moved the playlists and my files to a new computer. Once MusicBee was installed I directed it to my music folder, then imported the playlists. This is what was confusing: my main music folder would play all of my music with no problem, but the imported playlists said that the file locations were missing. But, I noticed in the missing location pop-up notice that the directory was different. This is because the new computer had a different user name in the C:drive. This is why the main library would play music, but the playlists directory was not finding the files. The playlists was still looking for the old computer's directory.

Here was the fix:

I went to the MusicBee playlist folder and opened the playlists in Notepad++. Use the Search>Find... command, click the Replace tab. Put the old directory location in the "find what" window and the new directory in the "replace with" window. Click "replace all". Save. If MusicBee is open, close it and open again. Give it a moment to read the new playlists directory.

Fixed!  :)

Hope this helps to solve your playlist problems too.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

That's a good solution. For future reference, there's also a function in MusicBee that can be used for problems like this where a specific part of the directory path has changed. See my comments above.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)