Author Topic: File Structure has changed since moving from ITunes  (Read 1085 times)

Froon

Hi. I just moved from iTunes to MusicBee. I like its layout but I have a question on file organization. With iTunes, I was able to put all my music videos in one folder (actually iTunes did it automatically) called Home Videos. When I transferred to MusicBee, I tried to completely change the file structure. I literally moved the music from the iTunes folder to MusicBee Music Files and then all the videos I put into MusicBee Videos. I deleted the iTunes folder completely. I opened up MusicBee and it recreated the iTunes folder and put my music and videos all together under respective artist names. How do I change that? I really want to have my videos separate! I'd be grateful for any help with organisation. Thanks!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

If MusicBee moved your files, you must have used one of the file organization tools. I suggest your read up on File Organization and Templates on the wiki: https://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/File_Organization

However, if a folder called iTunes was recreated (and not just something with similar structure), it's probably not MusicBee doing it. Even if you accidentally turned on auto-organize, "iTunes" is not part of MusicBee's default template.

What you want is definitely possible. You can either do it manually or by setting up a video template in auto-organize.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Froon

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll certainly look at the site. But no I didn't have auto organize turned on, nor did I actually do anything with file organization tools. Not to my knowledge, anyway. Maybe the website you recommend will help me out. Great.

captain_paranoia

>  I opened up MusicBee and it recreated the iTunes folder and put my music and videos all together under respective artist names

Are you seeing the 'recreated' folders using a file manager, outside MusicBee (e.g. Windows Explorer, or Mac Finder)?

Or are you seeing the 'folders' within MusicBee?

If the latter, are you sure you're not seeing the metadata view of your files, rather than the physical file view?

Froon

Well, using Windows Explorer, I have gone to the actual directory that I keep my music and there is the new iTunes folder, previously deleted. It's not the metadata view, but the actual stuff. Wierd, isn't it! Also, even though it has now placed all videos within the artist names, it can't actually find them all in MusicBee, only a few. I'm considering deleting everything, wiping out all the music data, copying it back on to the hard drive from my backup and installing MusicBee again to see if that will help. What do you think?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
it can't actually find them all in MusicBee, only a few. I'm considering deleting everything, wiping out all the music data, copying it back on to the hard drive from my backup and installing MusicBee again to see if that will help. What do you think?

This confirms for me that it was not MusicBee that moved the files, because if it moves then it know where to find them. Do you still have iTunes installed? Your proposed solution would theoretically do the trick, but the problem may happen again if you can't figure out what's doing it.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Froon

Thanks. No, iTunes is not installed. I think I'll just go ahead and re-install everything and pray that whatever I did wrong I won't do again!

Froon

Just updating you all and thanks to those who tried to help. I ended up re-tagging everything in the music library and it has sorted out my music, even found files I didn't know were missing! So, I'm good again. Cheers.