Author Topic: Configurable decoding library priority.  (Read 3073 times)

ferongr

When I run MB on my Celeron netbook, I experience pauses in the sound when other applications are doing their things (Firefox rendering a heavy page for example or w/e). Winamp or WMP does not experience this problem.

An option to run the decoder at realtime priority would help

carloscs

Have you tried checking "Preferences->Player->increase buffer size (if player stutters during playback)" ?

This cleared the stuttering problem for me (but I have a slightly more powerful desktop so your mileage may vary).

ferongr

It's not a matter of playback buffer. And there's no problem on my quadcore desktop.

carloscs

It's not a matter of playback buffer. And there's no problem on my quadcore desktop.
Do you mean that your problem isn't when playing music? What is MusicBee decoding then if not for playback? Just curious...

ferongr

In other words... Increasing the playback buffer won't help when there are other threads from different programs swamping system resources, blocking the decoder... Anyway, a 1 second increase in playback buffer doesn't help when the decoding thread gets blocked for 10 or more seconds. A priority increase will help, since in that case the OS will not block the decoding thread.

carloscs

OK, you're clear thanks. My misunderstanding: I had a different mental image of where buffering was happening...

Steven

• Administrator
When I run MB on my Celeron netbook, I experience pauses in the sound when other applications are doing their things (Firefox rendering a heavy page for example or w/e). Winamp or WMP does not experience this problem.

An option to run the decoder at realtime priority would help
its not an option provided by the bass library. It is worth trying the stutter setting as there may be a disc access component to the problem.