Author Topic: Can I change the location of the library  (Read 3374 times)

CER

I'm not a high-tech user and just set up Musicbee.  It took me two tries to get it working.  I imported my files from a backup drive.  Now the Musicbee library is located on my backup drive instead of the C: drive on my computer so it only works when the backup drive is attached.  I do not want that drive used for anything except backups.  How can I relocate the library to my C: drive? 

The simplest instructions possible would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

sveakul

I'm not a high-tech user and just set up Musicbee.  It took me two tries to get it working.  I imported my files from a backup drive.  Now the Musicbee library is located on my backup drive instead of the C: drive on my computer so it only works when the backup drive is attached.  I do not want that drive used for anything except backups.  How can I relocate the library to my C: drive? 

I'm assuming from your post that you installed the MusicBee application to your C: drive, and created the Library from music files located on a separate backup drive where they still reside.  What's not clear is where you originally created your Library when you installed MusicBee--on the C: drive, or had it created on the backup drive.  You understand that the "Library" is NOT your actual music files, but a single data file that just references the locations of the music files, correct?

If the situation is that now you have also moved the actual music files to C:, you can remap their location in the Library by doing File-->Library-->Relink Music File Paths.

CER

I just imported the files to Musicbee.  And, no, I thought the library would contain the files.  I should have imported them to the C: drive first I guess.  I 'assumed' the files would be in Musicbee after they were imported.  I will move the files to the C: drive and then map as you suggested below.  Thank you for the help. 

sveakul

Yes, if you physically move the music files in their original folders to the c: drive, you can re-map the Library references to the new drive letter path easily with Relink Music File Paths.  Glad to help.