Author Topic: Import iTunes playlists (and export XML) with folders  (Read 3047 times)

Icepat

As a professional DJ, i have thousands of songs and hundreds of playlists. I use iTunes for more than 10 years and i search for a replacement since 1-2 years, because iTunes is just ridiculously slow on Windows and don't offer advanced features for music management. The only reason i use iTunes is because DJ software like Serato and Traktor use the iTunes XML file to show playlists.

When i saw that MusicBee have an iTunes importation features and a iTunes XML file exportation, i said to myself « Finally! A real replacement for iTunes! ». And it's a powerful one! But... All my playlists in iTunes are in folders and sub-folders and this feature is essential to organize my playlists. So... I can't use MusicBee just for that reason.

If MusicBee could import my playlists from iTunes with the same hierarchy of folders and sub-folders and finally could export an iTunes compatible XML file with that same hierarchy of folders, it will be perfect for me and all the DJ community i think! And i could make donations on a regular basis because this is an essential worktool for me.

iderf

+1 Been looking for this feature all day! Attempted previous patches and the latest Musicbee patch but it still doesn't work for me.

This is pretty much a game changer if anyone can do this.

I currently have my playlist folders organized like so..

https://ibb.co/buSnkA

It would be great to be able to have this same folder structure imported as an XML into Rekordbox :)

Thanks so much!

F

alec.tron

I've written a parser that does exactly that - reformat MusicBee XMLs so you can have your organizational folders inside of Traktor / Serato / Rekordbox.
Have a look here:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=25608.0

c.

iderf

Thanks!!!!! It works. Reckon there's a patch so that Musicbee keeps the code when I close it? Been reading your posts btw, thanks for all the help and info :) :)

@alec.tron (sorry dunno how to tag)

F

alec.tron

All good.
Nope, this came to be as the author of Musicbee had little interest in screwing around with xml syntax changes for programs he does not use (and which admittedly each come with their own clusterf*ck of ok to just badly written xml interpreters).
So I then wrote this over a few days, and wrapped it up into a basic UI so others could use it as well - but, that also means it's a) stand-alone / not integrated in MB [so no to "so that Musicbee keeps the code when I close it?"  - that is impossible as is], and b) relies on a given MusicBee xml syntax; and c) you willl need to run it on every xml that you want to drag from MB to RB. So I usually do this 2-6 times per month, depending on how much new music comes along & when/what I want to play out.
c.

iderf

Is there a way we can tag him and tell him he's the best for making a program that shits on Itunes and every other music player client atm cause they're all selfish bastards that only want profit?

And also to add your parse on top of Musicbee's code to automate it?

Much love

F