Author Topic: New default skin for v3.3 and "slim" icons  (Read 30071 times)

redwing

I have some suggestions about the way the new standard skin handles the four player controls on the right side (equalizer, last.fm, repeat, shuffle) as, in my view, they have some issues.

- Equalizer button shows the same color for both on and off. But the differences in their shape are not easy to tell unlike other controls.
- No mouse-over highlight color unlike the left-side controls. I know it shows tooltip instead, but they show up a little late and immediate color change would be more noticeable and assuring.
- They are not consistent across different player modes. For some reason, the default skin shows the same color for the sidebar player as the main player, if you use color overrides for them, they behave the same as compact/mini mode where those controls display disabled color when the main player show default color.

Try this code to see what I mean.
Code
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<root dependsOn="MusicBee3.xmlc">
<element id="PlayerSidebar.Control.Default" fg="0,0,255" />
<element id="PlayerSidebar.Control.Disabled" fg="255,0,0" />
<element id="PlayerSidebar.Control.Highlight" fg="0,255,0" />
</root>
Here's a summary of my suggestions:
Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 03:18:36 AM by redwing

redwing

Thanks! Now the controls on the main player are consistent with those on the sidebar player (except compact/mini mode). And the mouseover color is now used for those controls (not sure why they use auto-generated colors instead of PlayerFlat.Control.Highlight).
The problem is the differences between different color shades are hardly noticeable (especially with the default skin) because they are slim icons in 1px-width lines. They seem to require either a different hue or some background image (like Groove) for a mouseover image.

redwing

Play/pause button & volume slider need to get moved 1px down to get vertically centered with other elements.

Steven

• Administrator
Play/pause button & volume slider need to get moved 1px down to get vertically centered with other elements.
i spent quite a bit of time ensuring controls line up under various font and configuration settings so could you post a screenshot?

Steven

• Administrator
i need to see it in the context of everything else ie. the entire player panel, the dpi scale for your screen and also which font you are using

phred

• Global Moderator
Based strictly on the screenshot, it looks to me like play/pause needs to move down, while volume needs to move up.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

redwing

i need to see it in the context of everything else ie. the entire player panel, the dpi scale for your screen and also which font you are using

PMed my settings file. dpi is 100%. It happens with a fresh installation too when multiple lines option is enabled.

Steven

• Administrator
Thanks for sending the settings file. Yes i can reproduce when using the slim icons and multiple lines or album cover is displayed.
It will be fixed for the next update

https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee33_Patched.zip

edit:
I also just updated it to always use PlayerFlat.Control.Highlight - not sure why i did the auto-colouring
Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 06:34:31 PM by Steven

redwing

Thanks! Now they look vertically aligned with those settings.

redwing

I also just updated it to always use PlayerFlat.Control.Highlight

My slim version skins are working fine now but the default skin needs a different highlight color - very hard to tell a difference.

redwing

redwing

Depending on the highlight color, icon can be almost invisible.

Would be great if you could support either fg2 for Panel.Body.Highlight and Panel.ChildBody.Highlight or a skin setting that forces fg to both text and icon for the two elements though I'd prefer the former.
Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 02:49:24 PM by redwing

redwing

Any skins containing Compact.Player.MetroButton element doesn't display slim player controls properly when wavebar is enabled in compact mode.

It also disrupts vertical alignment of player controls in the main player when wavebar is enabled.

Try with the following code:

Code
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<root dependsOn="MusicBee3.xmlc">
<element id="Compact.Player.MetroButton.Default" bdr="150,150,150" />
<element id="Compact.Player.MetroButton.Highlight" bdr="50,50,50" />
</root>