Author Topic: New default skin for v3.3 and "slim" icons  (Read 30398 times)

redwing

Noticed 3.3 now draws Windows caption buttons if they're not supplied. Can you support color overrides for those? That will make standard skins really small just like the new default skin and also make skinning easier.

Steven

• Administrator
Noticed 3.3 now draws Windows caption buttons if they're not supplied. Can you support color overrides for those? That will make standard skins really small just like the new default skin and also make skinning easier.
i have added:
CaptionBarButtonColorOverride fg=xxx
CaptionBarButtonHighlightColorOverride bg=xxx

where CaptionBarButtonColorOverride is the symbol coloring and CaptionBarButtonHighlightColorOverride is the background when the mouse is over the button
as with Windows, the close button highlights with red
Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 04:55:12 PM by Steven

redwing

Thanks for the support!
Unfortunately all highlight images get recolored by IconColourOverride.Default.
Also can you support fg of CaptionBarButtonHighlightColorOverride too?

There's one more image that shouldn't get recolored. It's the default splash image when no custom splash image is supplied.

Steven

• Administrator
Unfortunately all highlight images get recolored by IconColourOverride.Default.
Can you give me a specific example (element name) and post a screenshot? It might be obvious to you as you can see it, but its not easy for me to figure out exactly what you mean
Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 07:11:23 PM by Steven

redwing

PMed a test skin. See highlight images for caption buttons.

Steven

• Administrator
thanks for sending the skin.
The reported issues should be fixed now

Also for the highlight image, i have added a fg as requested
CaptionBarButtonColorOverride fg=xxx
CaptionBarButtonHighlightColorOverride bg=xxx fg=xxx

https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee33_Patched.zip

redwing

redwing

The red love icon gets recolored in every place - all panels, players including compact/mini mode.

Steven

• Administrator
the patched version is updated to not recolour that icon

colagen

Hi,

The default skin have been updated recently, it's now much cleaner and pleasant.
There is still some points which make the UI look a little bit old fashioned, so here they are. You could say that my eyes are too sensitive, and i won't deny : )

1 : this close button attached to this tracklist stand out too much in my opinion. It's not an important UI element because you don't need to close this tracklist, you open a new one, or you scroll below, but who is gonna close it ? I think it would be more logical to put just a cross without any background, using the color of the tracks titles.

2 : The play button there is a little bit too big too. It's taller than the album name

3 : it would look better imho if the selected item background was full with, going under the scrollbar. The scrollbar would then just overlap the content, like most apps nowadays. On most skins, the scrollbar zone have the same background color than the whole column, so it would work and it would look more clean. The tracklist which extend below each albums cover could be full with also, it would look better. (But then there is more work to do in order to see the scrollbar even above a dark tracklist, so it's probably trickier to do)

4 : There is a little vertical gap between the top of each tab and the bottom of the caption bar. I think this gap is useless visually, it would be cleaner without it.

5 : there is too much horizontal space around those 4 buttons on the right. Generally on the whole control bar, the horizontal gaps between elements aren't distributed harmoniously/regularly.

6 : the selected item background isn't vertically aligned with the text inside

7 : The search bar looks old fashioned, with this very dark border

Apart from those point, the UI since this 3.3 update look a little bit more like a modern app, which is great.
Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 05:23:49 PM by esteban

Steven

• Administrator
re: point 5, i did make some adjustments but cant remember if they were in the last official beta release.
Are you using the latest patch version?
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee33_Patched.zip

colagen

Yes, v3.3.6902. Actually, the vertical and horizontal spaces depend of the layout options chosen for this control bar. That's why i use the wave seekbar, the vertical alignement of the elements is better with it (just one pixel too close to the bottom border though : )

I used to be a webdesigner, so i'm quite sensitive to that i guess.

Steven

• Administrator
what font do you use and could you post the screenshot in full size?

colagen

Default font on windows, so Segoe UI i guess.
The screenshots are fullsize, if you click on the tumbnail, it redirect to the fullsize version.
My screen isn't 72dpi though, it's higher (15.6'' and 1920x1080), but it doesn't seem to make a difference with 1366 x 768, and 100% text size on windows

Here is a different screen shot, without the wavebar, where the vertical misalignment is more obvious. And there is even more horizontal space lost around the elements, which could be used for a wider progress bar, imho