Author Topic: How to store bookmarks in the metadata of a file?  (Read 1279 times)

requestforcomment

I love MusicBee's bookmark ability because it let's me listen to my favorite portions of a musical piece over and over.  ;D

Unfortunately bookmarks are not stored as metadata (tags) inside the audio file itself, like artist, title or rating are. Instead bookmarks are stored inside a bookmarks.dat text file residing in AppData\Roaming\MusicBee. That means if you set a bookmark inside MusicBee only MusicBee will recognize it, but not other media players. If you transfer your audio files to another computer that also has MusicBee, the other MusicBee will have its own separate list of bookmarks.

I'm looking for a way to programmatically export all my bookmarks, so that they are stored with the file itself. As far as I can see, there is even an ID3 specification for this kind of thing. I Could do it by hand, but it's such a hassle. I already lost all my bookmarks once because my hard drive failed and I didn't backup the bookmarks.dat file. Storing my favorite parts inside the file itself also makes my music collection more future proof because who knows what gadgets or players I'll be using in 20 years?

Can someone recommend me a tool or efficient way to do this export? I'm thinking the series of step would be
1. Convert information stored in bookmarsks.dat into an orderly text file or spreadsheet.
2. Use a tool that automatically writes chapter marks and can read the necessary info from a text file (which audio file, what to call the chapter, start, end).

Is there even such a tool? I have trouble even reading the bookmarks.dat file because the start and end times of a bookmark aren't encoded in human readable format. Here are some sample entries from my file, I can make out the file names but not the time stamps nor any delimiter:
Code
 „ƒ êÑ sD:\Audio\Music\Grieg Edition\CD 23 - Complete Chamber Music Vol.I\Grieg - Complete Chamber Music Vol.I.wav.wav.flac ¤ `Ô YD:\Audio\Music\Ratatat\Ratatat - Magnifique [2015] [MP3-320KBPS]\08 Nightclub Amnesia.mp3   Ä?  

In case it should matter, my collection is a mixture of formats, but most is MP3, OGG or FLAC. I'd be willing to convert to the required format if it becomes necessary.

Any help is much appreciated!  :o