Author Topic: DISABLE KLICKWHEEL SEARCH AND SCROLL INSTEAD?  (Read 1801 times)

thehay95

Hello. I'm new.
My main musicplayer is Foobar2000 and I wanted to test something new.
Musicbee has really some cool features, but one thing that confuses me, is that everytime i klick the middle wheel of my mouse it starts a searching function. I'm used to use the mousewheel to scroll, not to search. In Foobar i can klick the weheel and drag the mouse to scroll smooth and in any speed I want, just like in a web browser. Is there a setting to also make that work in musicbee? Klick the wheel and scroll like in a browser or Foobar, instead of searching??
cong ty giup viec nha gia re, cong ty chăm sóc người già tron goi

captain_paranoia

My scrollwheel scrolls if I rotate it, in all the panes I've tried.

The only pane the scrollwheel press seems to start a search is in the 'Playing Tracks' pane.

MediaMonkey behaves as you describe. I had never discovered that; I have used the 'old skool' scroll methods of the scroll wheel, or dragging the scroll bars.

Sounds like a Wishlist request.

sveakul

Don't know if you are familiar with AutoHotkey, but you can use it to change the mouse wheel scrolling behavior, some examples here:  https://autohotkey.com/docs/Hotkeys.htm#Wheel

I confess I only use it to assign different behaviors to the Xbutton1/2 on my 5 button-mouse, and wheel-click for "delete."  The documentation may look intimidating but just experiment/google a little and you'll probably end up with what you want.  For MusicBee-specific assignments you can launch/close it independently along with MB so normal usage is returned.

Mauser69

This is a very interesting thread - I just learned some new and very cool things about MusicBee - thanks thehay95 for starting this!

First, I do understand what you mean by scrolling using the mouse wheel click instead of rolling the wheel - this is something I have occasionally used in the browser to set up a variable-speed auto scroll of long pages.  But frankly, I rarely think about it, and I just use the mouse wheel or drag the side bars to move around.  I don't really like to use the middle button for scrolling simply because you have to continually start and stop the scrolling session if you want to do anything else with the mouse.  At first I thought your request to be able to use the middle button to start a scroll session in MB made sense too - it is a nice feature to have for those who get used to that function.

But I did not understand your comment about the mouse wheel button starting a search function.  You see, I almost never click the mouse wheel for anything, anywhere, so I had never tried this in MB either.  And what I found when I tested it is a REALLY neat function that I would now hate to loose!  

In simple terms, just using the middle button to click on any field in the Album and Tracks display will instantly do a search for any other track in the library that has that same field value.  What a great way to do a quick search for duplicate songs (especially if you have lots of compilation albums or live performances), or just to see what else might be tagged with a particular genre or whatever without having to bother with opening a new tab or changing the main display options to manually go look for those things.  

When I was recently trying to clean up all the genre tags and standardize them in my library, I spent days on this, having to do constant back-and-forth comparisons in multiple tabs.  If I had known about this middle button quick search, that task would have been so much easier.  I also recently went through a very tedious process of checking all the songs in a large double album compilation for an artist  where I already had over twenty albums in the library - I just wanted to see if there was anything on the new album that I didn't already have, but manually looking for, or doing a search for, each track was a real PItA.  Even trying to use the duplicates manager for this is relatively slow and confusing.  How great it is now to just click on the middle button for an instant response to that query.
Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 01:32:48 PM by Mauser69

Mauser69

I'm used to use the mousewheel to scroll, not to search. In Foobar i can klick the weheel and drag the mouse to scroll smooth and in any speed I want, just like in a web browser. Is there a setting to also make that work in musicbee? Klick the wheel and scroll like in a browser or Foobar, instead of searching??
Here is an interesting observation in direct response to your desire to have the mouse wheel button function as Autoscroll:

I just tested this on a PC that uses a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse combo (they use Logitech's own configuration software instead of the default windows configuration).  On that machine, I could not get the wheel button to do the search at all!  With the Logitech SetPoint software, the mouse wheel button performs the Autoscroll function in MusicBee just like it does in the browser.

So you can have what you want by possibly just changing your mouse.  Either try a Logitech mouse with SetPoint, or maybe just look for special driver software with whatever brand of mouse you currently use.

Strangely enough, I use a fairly generic (and cheap) GearHead brand wireless tilt-wheel mouse with this PC, and I cannot find any software or W10 settings at all that allow any special function configuration for the buttons.  The wheel button is just doing whatever the windows default calls for, and that gives me autoscroll in the browser, and the instant search function in MusicBee.
Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 03:21:24 PM by Mauser69