Author Topic: Monitored Folder Question  (Read 2769 times)

dasman

My music files are on a synology NAS and I access the files remotely from the office using a combination of WebDAV and Netdrive.  This works great, but my IT department is on me about the network traffic generated whenever Musicbee scans my monitored folders.

Is there anyway to disable automatic library scans.  I only want to scan my folders when I have my laptop at home on my local network (ie., via the Insert key).  I don't want to scan on startup or continuously monitor (my only two radio button choices).

How can I do this?

Thanks,

dave

sveakul

Just exclude the folder(s) from the Monitored Folders box.  You'll just have to keep in mind that for your Library to reflect any new/changed/removed files from that folder, you would need to do a manual file rescan (Tools/Advanced/Rescan all files).

dasman

Just exclude the folder(s) from the Monitored Folders box.  You'll just have to keep in mind that for your Library to reflect any new/changed/removed files from that folder, you would need to do a manual file rescan (Tools/Advanced/Rescan all files).

If I uncheck the folder, then it disappears from the monitor list the next time I start Musicbee.  This means I have to re-add the folders whenever I'm home and want to manually start a scan... then remove them again when the scan is complete.

It would be simpler just to change the "scan at startup" radio box to a checkbox and allow the option to manually scan only (ie., whenever I hit the insert button).

dasman

I just tried excluding the folder from the scan, and get a message to confirm that I want to remove the files in the excluded folders from the library.   Responses are "ok" and "cancel".

Can someone confirm that "ok" is yes and "cancel" is the equivalent of "no"  (ie., don't remove the files from the library).

I don't want to bugger up my library trying something new out...

Steven

• Administrator
untick the folders you had monitored, not add folders to be excluded

sveakul

dasman:  I'm sorry I gave you the wrong information in my post, as Steven indicates just un-check as opposed to exclude.  My mistake.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
What might be easiest, to same sl you all the settings changes, is to make a separate portable installation of MusicBee that doesn't have monitored folders at all. Just run that one at work and the other one at home.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

dasman

untick the folders you had monitored, not add folders to be excluded
Is there a way to keep the unchecked file paths in the monitored folder list so I can easily check them when I want to scan again (ie., when connected to specific networks).  When I clear the checkbox, the file paths disappear when I restart MusicBee.

What might be easiest, to same sl you all the settings changes, is to make a separate portable installation of MusicBee that doesn't have monitored folders at all. Just run that one at work and the other one at home.
This one I don't quite understand... but maybe because I need to better understand portable installations.  I have MB on my laptop, and only want to monitor folders/update the library when I'm on my local network at home.  When I'm at the office (or hotel, etc), I don't want to avoid the network traffic that is apparently drowning our firewall with traffic during a scan.  If I use a portable installation that doesn't have monitored folders, how is that different that "unchecking the box" to monitor a folder?  How do I update the library/rescan when I'm on the local network?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It's different because once you set it up,  you don't have to mess with the settings at all. You just run the second installation of MusicBee when you're at work. If the library needs updating, run it at home and manually rescan.

When would you uncheck the folders, anyway? When you're at work and the scan has already started? If I were in your position, I know I'd forget at some point. This saves you the trouble of worrying about it.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Mauser69

My music files are on a synology NAS and I access the files remotely from the office using a combination of WebDAV and Netdrive.  This works great, but my IT department is on me about the network traffic generated whenever Musicbee scans my monitored folders.

Is there anyway to disable automatic library scans.  I only want to scan my folders when I have my laptop at home on my local network (ie., via the Insert key).  I don't want to scan on startup or continuously monitor (my only two radio button choices).

How can I do this?
To me, the obvious solution is to simply not monitor folders at all.  Under the File menu, you will find an option to "Scan Folders for New Files", and this keeps a separate list of folders from the Monitored folders.  This is a completely manual step you can do anytime you wish, and as far as I can tell, this function does exactly the same thing as monitoring a folder at startup.  I use it frequently to discover new music I have been ripping/adding to the physical library without having to re-start MB just to pick them up.

dasman

To me, the obvious solution is to simply not monitor folders at all.  Under the File menu, you will find an option to "Scan Folders for New Files", and this keeps a separate list of folders from the Monitored folders.  
Original comment deleted for my stupidity.  Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for.
Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 04:05:38 PM by dasman

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Ha, I think the rest of us were overthinking it because we figured you knew how to do that. Oops!
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

dasman

Ha, I think the rest of us were overthinking it because we figured you knew how to do that. Oops!
My fault for not better understanding what was going on. 

I originally added all the music in my library simply by monitoring the appropriate folders on startup.  I don't think I ever really realized that the folder list that pops up when hitting the Insert key could be different than the monitored folder list.  I always thought I was manually forcing a scan of the monitored list (because on my machine the lists always matched).

My bad...