Author Topic: Is MusicBee open source?  (Read 16632 times)

Ygg

Subject pretty much covers it: I know MusicBee is "free," but is it open source? I'm looking to moving away from iTunes, with one of the main reasons being that I don't want to be kept hostage by proprietary software.

Steven

• Administrator
no its not and no near term plans to make it so. Its one of the options i will consider in the future if i get to the point where i dont want to continue with it.
Songbird is an itunes like app that is open source

Ygg

Yes, I tried Songbird, but it was resource hog, couldn't play my AAC files, and didn't read Grouping tags from my iTunes library which was a gamebreaker for me. Import went quickly and I have playcounts, last played and ratings :)

MB's tagging options are much better and smart playlists are even smarter than iTunes, which are the main features I use.

I'll play around a bit more before committing and donating, but I'm very impressed thus far!

halfmike

I really hope people here don't get too mad at me for reviving an old thread.
But as a forum member I've always preferred newbies that use the search function before they post.
This community seems pretty nice, and your music player rocks so I'm willing to give it a shot.

I used Clementine for a long time, and I was writing python scripts to attempt give it all the features I wanted. But MusicBee had most of them, and I was very impressed by the design. I want my friends to use it. But it's not portable. My question is thus:

Since MusicBee is freeware, what's the reason the sources aren't open? I guess if you have plans for making MB into something you pay for, I guess it makes sense on your part to keep it closed. But if that's the case, it makes no sense for me to donate (as you're just going to make money anyway) and you guys never have the chance to possibly benefit from me or people like me that just want to help contribute to the source. As long as it's freeware, there's no reason not to make it open. It can only make your code better - the open source community is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. It could open you up to a whole new audience of users on different OSes. There are plenty of people at universities (like me) that are interested in contributing to projects like this just for the experience. Being closed source just denies you all of these great things. Finally, As long as MB is closed source, It will never be my permanent solution as a music player because of the different OSes I use.

Just something to consider.

Steven

• Administrator
my view about open sourcing MusicBee hasnt changed and i dont see it happening at least in the near to medium term (if at all), and would be one of the options i consider when it comes to the time i no longer want to continue with it.
I've stated this before and will state it again for new readers - MusicBee is a hobby for me, and i have no plans to charge money for it.

There is an API available that allows developers to enhance musicbee and most of the ones done already are open source (but thats up to the author to decide that)

Zak

• Global Moderator
It also avoids the problem of a new project fork being started every time two developers can't agree on a proposed change. Eventually we'd end up with MusicBee, MusicButterfly, MusicMoth, MusicDungBeetle...
Bee excellent to each other...

halfmike

It also avoids the problem of a new project fork being started every time two developers can't agree on a proposed change. Eventually we'd end up with MusicBee, MusicButterfly, MusicMoth, MusicDungBeetle...

In my experience, this doesn't actually happen very often. Most of the time when I see it happen it's a bug that someone thinks should be eliminated, and someone else think's thats the way the feature is supposed to work. But when this happens, usually someone higher up decides how the program "should work" and either marks it as resolved (if that's the way its supposed to work) or fixes it and changes the behavior.
Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 03:57:49 AM by halfmike

Steven

• Administrator
MusicDungBeetle
why didnt i think of that one in the first place! too late now :(

ma_t14

• Global Moderator

Nosh

I realise I'm a few months late here, but I just gotta ask.
I don't want to be kept hostage by proprietary software.

Out of curiosity, how exactly does proprietary software keep you hostage? I see this sort of thing said a lot, and I really don't get it. You're not free to modify the underlying code, but would you do so anyway? Most end users wouldn't. And even at that, you're not forced to use the software. The product being offered (at no cost to you) is an as-is media player that you can extend with plugins; it is not that plus the source code to said media player, and given that no false claim to that effect is made, I don't see how you're held hostage at all.

Also, if you feel that non-free software truly keeps you hostage in some way, I'm confused as to why you're looking for a music player for Windows rather than using a free platform.

I use Linux on a couple computers as well as quite a bit of other open source software. I've never really understood the big deal people make over a software's licence. I see the software's function as drastically more important.

quick_wango

• Web and Application Developer
Sorry for reviving this thread, but I'm wondering why MusicBee isn't open source. Not only is the source not available, but it is also heavily obfuscated. There must be reasons for this. I really like MusicBee (I tried A LOT of other players), closed or open source, but I think its development is quite slow and there is much room for improvement. Many projects greatly benefit from being open source and I would definitly contribute to MusicBee as well.
From my point of view, there is no reason to be closed source for this project.
Administrator and Head Developer at http://cubeisland.de

Steven

• Administrator
Sorry for reviving this thread, but I'm wondering why MusicBee isn't open source. Not only is the source not available, but it is also heavily obfuscated. There must be reasons for this. I really like MusicBee (I tried A LOT of other players), closed or open source, but I think its development is quite slow and there is much room for improvement. Many projects greatly benefit from being open source and I would definitly contribute to MusicBee as well.
the reason is because MB is a personal project for me and i dont want to make it open source.
feel free to use another player - there are plenty of open source ones to chose from and according to your theory will have fast development and little room for improvement because they are open source.

SimonBRT

Focus. Direction. The proof so far, has been in the pudding, as it were. ;)

Iasc

couldn't agree more and i hope it never changes. its good that you feel you can contribute and really hope that you do. all us users with no programming knowledge really appreciate when people make the effort to make plugins so if you feel like you can contribute maybe that's the way you can.

9cupsoftea

couldn't agree more and i hope it never changes. its good that you feel you can contribute and really hope that you do. all us users with no programming knowledge really appreciate when people make the effort to make plugins so if you feel like you can contribute maybe that's the way you can.
#

Same here. If development was slow or there were glaring faults in the program I could understand, but it's super-fast, responsive, and focused.

Can you imagine how bad something like the compact player would be if you had 5 guys who all had different ideas and implementations also trying to respond to a forum of requests?