Author Topic: How do YOU organise [tag] your music?  (Read 2348 times)

user8340385035

I'm going through my library reorganising all my music, correcting album titles, genres, ratings, artwork etc.
I've moved everything to inbox and have started correcting stuff and moving it to my library

Any recommendations on stuff to do? Like rating systems you like. Or you wish you had organised your library like '.....'. Maybe more specific genres or something?

Let me know your thoughts and opinions :)
Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 05:44:55 PM by psychoadept

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
This topic is on exactly that question: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=25143.0
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

user8340385035

Apologies, I didn't name the topic too great. I didn't mean to ask how do you name the files and how do you arrange panels in musicbee. I mean how do you set the properties of each track.

For example:

I like to put multiple genres in the genre field. For example "Chill Acoustic Rock Electronic". Then I can make playlists look for genre fields containing 'chill' and 'electronic' for example to make different playlists.

Also I rate 2.5 stars as average.

I meant things like this more.

phred

• Global Moderator
You can add multiple genres to the genre tag by separating them with a semi-colon. As in Rock; Blues; R&B
I suggest you spend some time with the Wiki, starting with this:
http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Tagging
and then searching for your other questions/answers.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
I like to put multiple genres in the genre field. For example "Chill Acoustic Rock Electronic". Then I can make playlists look for genre fields containing 'chill' and 'electronic' for example to make different playlists.

I like to use the GROUPING tag, so any one track may contain WIFE 5 STAR PARTY CHILL or whatever you want, then, for example, in an auto-playlist called PARTY, enter:

Music track source: Library (music library)
 Display using view: Default
 Match: All of the following rules
 Grouping contains PARTY
 Limit to XX items selected by: Random
 Shuffle: Random
 Select by: Track
 Automatically refresh the matching tracks

SandaruLJ

The first thing I do after importing new files to the inbox is tagging them using "Auto-Tag by Album". I only use MusicBrainz as the source. I have disabled Genre from Auto-Tag fields because I'd like to retrieve Genre tags separately from Last.fm with Mood and Occasion tags using "Update Tags using Last.fm Tag Cloud" option. With "retrieve artist genres only" disabled in Preferences > Tags (2), this is the most accurate method to deal with Genre tags. Oh! and I have limited multiple genres to 3.

user8340385035

Thanks for your input people!

I especially like how you can tag genres like Chill; Acoustic; Rock; and then make a playlist containing 'Chill' and 'Rock' to make more specific genre mix playlists :)

I realised you can do this with artist names too, eg. John Smith; Jane Smith;
I realised if I put `John Smith; Jane Smith;`as the album artist, the track(s) appear under both the artist names in my library. Brilliant! Been searching for this for years! This works well when a whole album is by the same 2 people but if just one track of an album has both of them, the album gets split up horribly in my library. If I set them both to artist rather than album artist, then the music only appears under one of their names. How do I get music, even 1 track of an album to appear under 2 artist names?