Author Topic: Album number entries on left only go up to 99!  (Read 2023 times)

Keith D

I have just bought and ripped Now 100, but whilst all the first 99 show in numerical order, 100 comes after number 10 as opposed to after 99. I assume this is because numerical numbers are only set to a maximum of 2 numbers and not 3.

Keith

Steven

• Administrator
i dont think so. Can you post a screenshot so i can see where you are referring to

Keith D

Code
Hello Steven

Thank you so much for responding I am very grateful. I have also noticed that having installed Now 4 this appears after number 39 not after 1, 2 or 3.

I have 2 screenshots so you can see the problem. Do hope this can be resolved. Not your concern but I notice that the same happens on Cloud Player by Double Twist. Windows Media Player incidentally shows them all in correct numerical sequence.

Kind regards
Keith

PS I should say that I absolutely adore Music Bee, I find it so good.

frankz

Code
Hello Steven

Thank you so much for responding I am very grateful. I have also noticed that having installed Now 4 this appears after number 39 not after 1, 2 or 3.

I have 2 screenshots so you can see the problem. Do hope this can be resolved. Not your concern but I notice that the same happens on Cloud Player by Double Twist. Windows Media Player incidentally shows them all in correct numerical sequence.

Kind regards
Keith

PS I should say that I absolutely adore Music Bee, I find it so good.

You need to upload your images to some image sharing site and then embed their display code in a post.  Having the screenshots on your computer doesn't display them here.

Keith D

Hello Frankz

Where do I find an image sharing site?

regards,
Keith

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
The embedded image didn't work because you used the webpage URL instead of an image URL, like so:

Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 02:38:57 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
Ok, i misunderstood what you meant and yes album name is sorted as a string and the display order is as expected.
You can use the custom sorting feature, set in the Preferences/ Sorting and Grouping/ enable custom sorting/ Albums

I will move this to the questions topic

Keith D

Thank you again for your response.

I have gone into sorting preferences cannot quite work out how to adjust the numbers for the Now Cd's.

Sorry but a bit of help here would be appreciated.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If custom sorting is enabled, then you need to go into the tag editor and edit the sort value for each album so they are in the order you want.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Keith D

I have spent virtually all day trying to sort this out, have custom sorting enabled and have tried hundreds of different things but Now 100 still comes after Now 10 as opposed to after 99, cannot see why it does not do an automatic number count. There are only 8 tags available but over 100 Now Cd's.

Just do not see what I am supposed to do do I have to edit every Now CD? If so by doing what?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
This is where you have to go to enter the sort album:

Yes, you will have to enter a value for each album, but only once for each album. I'm not sure you could use additional tagging & reporting tools to automate this, but I'd choose a value like "Now 001" for album sorting and then copy and paste it and only update the number for each album.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

captain_paranoia

> cannot see why it does not do an automatic number count

This is a classic problem in sorting. As Stephen has said, it does a string sort. This means that it doesn't see numbers, it only sees characters. it sorts by comparing strings one character position at a time. Thus, it sees 'Now 100' as coming before 'Now 2' ('Now 1' comes before 'Now 2', ignoring the characters that come after).

It's the same reason many media players will list '10 Track10' before '2 Track2', and why it's a good idea to use leading zeroes when naming files prefixed with a track number; '2 Track2' becomes '02 Track2', which will appear before '10 Track10' in a string sort.

Different sort algorithms behave differently. I use cygwin on my PC, and Debian on my NAS. Both are flavours of Unix. If I run the command 'sort' on the same file on each of the two platforms, I get different results.

If you can come up with a robust sort algorithm that can cope with this problem, it would be welcomed by the computer science community...