Author Topic: Inbox confusion  (Read 5004 times)

Tose1976

I think, I didn't understand the concept of "Inbox" completely. But maybe someone could help me a little bit. I have my the title of my library on a network storage on a Raspberry Pi. Accessible as a SMB share or alternatively via SSH/SCP/SFTP. I have made a new library on the same share in a subfolder of where the music files are stored. Now i have seen, that there is a Inbox node in MB.

I thought this was a special folder in the SMB share that MB monitors, so I can store new files here (without the MB currently running), to tag them later and transfer them to the library. But I can't find a new folder "Inbox" on the share. Where is this folder stored or am I misunderstanding the concept?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
The inbox only exists within MusicBee. However, you could create a monitored folder and call it Inbox, to make it match. And/or you could use the automatically sweep and organize command to put new files in the inbox folder. This is what I do. When they first come in, they get loosely organize in an inbox folder, and once I send them to the library auto-organize takes over and puts them in the music folder.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Tose1976

Ah ok. I have used a folder "Incoming". all what i dropped there, appears now in the virtual Inbox node. But when i tag the files there, mark all tagged files, right click and choose "send to library" , the files are gone. I couldn't find them in the library.

Currently "auto-organize" is disabled, since i fear that after activating this option, all files in the library where renamed. I didn't want this. I want only to auto-organize new files. It takes a long time to rename all files, since I/O is really slow in my construction. I get mostly not more than 35MB/s, since all files are on the slow Raspberry Pi. This is okay for new files, but not for a whole library with nearby 1TB.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
How are you looking for files in your library, after you send them?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Tose1976

I have searched for the files via the filesystem in my share and additionally in the library, but nothing was found.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You mean nothing shows up in MusicBee?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Tose1976

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Have you also searched with the search box for those files? Or is it possible they're being hidden as duplicates?

I've especially never heard of files disappearing from the file system when added to the library. You may have to walk us through it step by step to see where the problem is. Screenshots would help. Maybe start by showing us your library preferences?
Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 04:45:37 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Tose1976

Yes, of course, i have searched via the searchbox, looked in the library inside MB, and looked on the filesystem. No trace of the file after sending it to the library. my library settings are as follows:

"Library settings"
Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 08:44:25 PM by Tose1976

Steven

• Administrator
When you send files to the library, unless auto-organise is ticked, then MB wont physically move the file ie. the action just changes the internal categorisation to indicate the file should be displayed in the Music Library node.
If you cant find the file in its original location, i would suggest it wasnt there before you used the Send to Library action and not because of it.

Tose1976

i have problems to post images here. I have tried to add them via imgur and hope you can see at least my link, but it seems so. Let me try to explain whats going on:

I switch from MediaMonkey to MusicBee. With this, i have a relative good tagged library as a starting point. Music is organized at a SMB Share, mounted as Z:\Library\Music. Under this i have it organized as <Album-Artist>\<Albumname>\<Tracknumber> - <Tracktitle>.mp3. Additionally, there is at the <Album-Artist>-Level a folder named "Incoming". Here i drop new files. I added a song from the band "Combichrist" in this folder. This Band was never before in my library and so has no <Album-Artist> folder with this name. The testfile appears in my "Inbox" of MB. "Auto-organize" is disabled as you can see in my screen. I can see the file in the folder "Incoming" on the filesystem. Now i rightclick the file and choose "send to library". The statusbar states "processing"...

Now i look at Z:\Library\Music > No new folder "Combichrist". I look in "Icoming" > The folder is empty. I search the library for "Combichrist" > Nothing is found.

If i enable "Auto-organize", the folder Combichrist is created and the file is available there and found when i search in MB in the library. So it works with Auto-organize enabled, but i loose the file if it is disabled.

@Steven: I can try to show show you what going with Teamviewer, if you are interested.

SandaruLJ

When you send files to the library, unless auto-organise is ticked, then MB wont physically move the file.

Exactly.

the action just changes the internal categorisation to indicate the file should be displayed in the Music Library node.

Maybe. But then those files don't show up in the library, nor in the inbox. They get disappeared from MB. The physical files remain in the inbox folder in my case, as they should be. But they can't be imported into the inbox again, maybe because of that change in the internal categorisation you mentioned. I had to rename them to get them imported. So something changes in that categorisation for the files to be blacklisted from inbox, but not enough to get them shown up in the library.
Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 01:45:46 PM by SandaruLJ

ma_t14

There must be something in your configuration that's causing those issues. Because in my case, after sending the tracks into the library they appear there, as one would expect.