Author Topic: How to Clear Music Cache  (Read 7128 times)

cnd4747

Sorry I feel like this answer has been asked a hundred times but I can't figure out the answer I'm looking for.

I accidentally included a directory I did not want included on the start up when prompted to "select folders to scan."  The file had 100s of completely untagged songs that are cluttering my music browser and rather than tackling the issue of tagging hundreds of songs I downloaded 5-10 years ago that I'm no longer interested in hearing, I'd rather just remove them from the music player.

I have seen the suggestion to delete the folder--the songs in question come from the Downloads folder, so I can't exactly delete that.  I tried finding the folder on the "Music" MusicBee interface, and that did not solve the problem.

I've also seen several suggestions to delete "%AppData%\MusicBee\InternalCache" or various suggestions to that effect but I could not find a folder with that name when in the appdata folder, only DialogStateSettings.dat, Downloads.dat, MusicBee3Settings.bak, and MusicBee3Settings.ini.  I tried deleting the last 2 and restarting the app, which prompted me to re-select folders as directories, but did not clear the old songs from the program.

I have tried running the "compress library" tool to no avail.

Is there not a way to simply reset the cache?

Please explain in a way someone (me) not good with computers can understand.

frankz

Are the files in your inbox or in your library?

If I understand what you're asking for and these are files that are in your library, this should do it:

1. Go to the "Music" tab
2. Make sure you're in "Tracks" view (upper left drop-down on the center panel)
3. Right click on the column headers (where the words "Artist", "Title", etc are), choose "Set Displayed Fields", and make sure "Path" is selected under "Selected Fields"
4. Sort by the (newly added?) Path column.
5. Find the files in the path or paths that are a problem
6. Select them and press the "Delete" key
7. When the dialog comes up, make sure "Delete From Library only" is selected
8. Click "OK"

This will delete the files from your library but keep them on your computer.

If they're in your inbox, it's the same procedure, but on the "Inbox" tab.  And, of course, step 7 would be "Delete from Inbox only"

cnd4747

Thank you frankz, that was very straightforward and clear.

cnd4747

One final question -- how to I add a new directory source?

sveakul

File/Add Files to Library will allow you to add individual or multiple selected files to your Library from anywhere.

File/Scan Folders for New Files will allow you to scan/add an entire folder of files to your Library;  be sure to choose the proper destination choice and other inclusions/exclusions from the choices in the dialog window.

To choose to monitor a new folder for files to be added to your library or inbox as they are added to the folder (or changed after they have been added), go to Preferences/Library/Monitored Folders and add;  be sure to carefully set the options there (scan on startup/continuous,  add to inbox/library, etc.).

cnd4747

Thank you for all your help - I am really loving this music player