Author Topic: (Version 1.8) Spectrogram Panel Plugin  (Read 101915 times)

zkhcohen

Whoops, spoke too soon... 175b no longer honors the existence of a placeholder.png image to be displayed in lieu of the spectrogram when playing radio stations.  Otherwise just empty space, and like Nature I abhor a vacuum  ;) .  Any chance of a 175c that fixes the regression?

This is why if I was going to rewrite it I would include unit tests.

I'll take a look at this later today.

zkhcohen

Whoops, spoke too soon... 175b no longer honors the existence of a placeholder.png image to be displayed in lieu of the spectrogram when playing radio stations.  Otherwise just empty space, and like Nature I abhor a vacuum  ;) .  Any chance of a 175c that fixes the regression?

175c uploaded. Thanks for testing.

sveakul

I'm sorry, but no placeholder appears in this version either.  Just to verify, the one that works with 1.74 is in the AppData/Dependencies folder, along with the config.xml file, with the file name placeholder.png.

zkhcohen

I'm sorry, but no placeholder appears in this version either.  Just to verify, the one that works with 1.74 is in the AppData/Dependencies folder, along with the config.xml file, with the file name placeholder.png.

Can you ensure that the modified date is 3/29/2021 at 2:57pm PST on the .dll?

I'm testing it right now with "placeholder.png" in the AppData/Dependencies folder and it's working as expected.

I've noticed that if you start MusicBee and switch between multiple tracks with a duration of < 0 (streams for example), it doesn't appear until you play a track with a positive duration and then switch back. This could probably be fixed by binding to a different event.

sveakul

Yes that's the file I have.  And yes, just noticed that if you switch to playing a fixed file vs. a stream and then back to a stream, the placeholder WILL appear.  In 1.74, the placeholder will appear even when starting from a stream, so that version was binding to something different--any chance of reverting the binding behavior to what 1.74 used?

zkhcohen

Yes that's the file I have.  And yes, just noticed that if you switch to playing a fixed file vs. a stream and then back to a stream, the placeholder WILL appear.  In 1.74, the placeholder will appear even when starting from a stream, so that version was binding to something different--any chance of reverting the binding behavior to what 1.74 used?

Frankly, I'm not sure what changed. I'll look into it.

mrbenn

Is the plugin meant to stop running when the window is closed / is no longer visible?

I activate the plugin in its own window as and when I need it (arrange panels > floating window) then close it which I assume would stop it from creating spectrograms.

If I open it again I instantly get spectrograms for tracks I have played in that session including ones when the window was closed, but I get the slight pause before it shows for tracks I have not.

zkhcohen

Is the plugin meant to stop running when the window is closed / is no longer visible?

I activate the plugin in its own window as and when I need it (arrange panels > floating window) then close it which I assume would stop it from creating spectrograms.

If I open it again I instantly get spectrograms for tracks I have played in that session including ones when the window was closed, but I get the slight pause before it shows for tracks I have not.

Nope - I didn't design it that way.

It's something I could look into when I get a chance. I'm not sure if I can bind to that sort of context switch, but maybe Steven has provided it as an option. Now that I think about it, it may just be availabile in .NET ootb.

sveakul

Any luck on returning placeholder display to 1.74's behavior of not needing to play a fixed file first before it will show up for radio stations?  I know I'm probably an exception but I open the player first to my radio list all the time.

mrbenn

Nope - I didn't design it that way.

Fair enough. It's really not a problem, just unexpected.

Thanks!

zkhcohen

Any luck on returning placeholder display to 1.74's behavior of not needing to play a fixed file first before it will show up for radio stations?  I know I'm probably an exception but I open the player first to my radio list all the time.

Work has been really busy, but I'm sure I'll have a chance to fix it soon!

scapehips

sveakul

The spectrogram looks really squashed. Help

How it looks will depend on the frequency range and saturation thereof being "received" from each song.  It's normal for some wall-of-sound type piece to produce a spectrogram like that.  If you resize the spectrogram's window vertically and/or horizontally it will give the display more room and appear less dense.  If you want you can compare the output with Spek (http://spek.cc/).

zkhcohen

The spectrogram looks really squashed. Help

How it looks will depend on the frequency range and saturation thereof being "received" from each song.  It's normal for some wall-of-sound type piece to produce a spectrogram like that.  If you resize the spectrogram's window vertically and/or horizontally it will give the display more room and appear less dense.  If you want you can compare the output with Spek (http://spek.cc/).

Well now I'm altogether considering integrating Spek. It looks like it piggybacks off of ffmpeg.

I'll take a look at this when I get a chance to tackle the other issues.

scapehips

Well now I'm altogether considering integrating Spek. It looks like it piggybacks off of ffmpeg.

I'll take a look at this when I get a chance to tackle the other issues.
Hey, on small monitors (1080p), the spectrogram window takes too much space if we don't want it to look squashed. Is there a way to make the fonts look good in default spectrogram window size?
Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 07:54:03 PM by mr.popo