Author Topic: (Version 1.8) Spectrogram Panel Plugin  (Read 101923 times)

zkhcohen

I think it would be more readable/usefull if it showed a scale 2kHZ/4kHZ/.../20kHZ/22kHZ like Spek does. If you show values like 17226.56 and 20671.88, its normal you think its ugly.
Also using mm:ss as time-format, like Spek, would be nice (perhaps make it optional?)

Seekbar not working atm, but no big deal atm.

I'll see what I can do in this regard. Unfortunately I'm limited by what FFMPEG will allow me to change.

zkhcohen

Hi,

I am using the Portable Version of MB, and i am not getting this plugin to work. (even installation fails)
When copying the files to the plugins folder and starting MB, no popup. But the plugin is visible in the plugin screen. But when clicking install, an unknown error uccurs.

My MB folder is located on a D drive (portable)

Can you help?

Regards,
Rene

Sorry for the delay here. If you'd still like to troubleshoot this, please send me your MusicBee error logs.

Did you move the appropriate dependency files to the AppData folder in the portable MusicBee folder?

sveakul

I have noticed a major bug with 1.7.4; if two files of the same type (e.g. MP3) and the same Title/Artist--but different bitrates/encoding parameters--are played, the same spectrogram produced for the first one played will not change for the second one, even though the actual graph should be obviously different (and displays so in Spek).

MusicBee 3.4.7601, Windows 10 v2004 64-bit, ffmpeg 4.3.1 64-bit.

FWIW in Properties/Details of mb_Spectrogram-Display.dll, the version still says "1.7.2" instead of 1.7.4, mod date is 3/20/2020.

Sorry! For some reason I stopped getting notifications for this post. Let me see what I can do.

Thanks, glad to see you back!

zkhcohen

I have noticed a major bug with 1.7.4; if two files of the same type (e.g. MP3) and the same Title/Artist--but different bitrates/encoding parameters--are played, the same spectrogram produced for the first one played will not change for the second one, even though the actual graph should be obviously different (and displays so in Spek).

MusicBee 3.4.7601, Windows 10 v2004 64-bit, ffmpeg 4.3.1 64-bit.

FWIW in Properties/Details of mb_Spectrogram-Display.dll, the version still says "1.7.2" instead of 1.7.4, mod date is 3/20/2020.

Sorry! For some reason I stopped getting notifications for this post. Let me see what I can do.

Thanks, glad to see you back!

It was painful looking at how godawful the code I wrote back then was, but I fixed your issues. Go ahead and try the newest version.

zkhcohen

Useful, but it will still not replace spek that I'm using to check if song is fake mp3 or anything like that because it doesn't show numbers on any of the sides of the spectrum, so i can't guess where it goes above 16 kHz and 20khz.

I think it would be more readable/usefull if it showed a scale 2kHZ/4kHZ/.../20kHZ/22kHZ like Spek does. If you show values like 17226.56 and 20671.88, its normal you think its ugly.
Also using mm:ss as time-format, like Spek, would be nice (perhaps make it optional?)

Seekbar not working atm, but no big deal atm.

I tested this and it's not possible without directly modifying the FFMPEG source code, which I simply don't have the time for at the moment.
The seekbar should be fully working on the latest version.

sveakul

zkhcohen:  1.7.5 does fix the duplicate spectrogram issue, thanks!  However, I greatly prefer the "granularity" and scale of the 1.7.4 spectrogram image compared to the "rounded" images and 3-point frequency label of this one, so much so that I immediately went back to 1.7.4.  I can live with the rare cases of my having duplicate artist/title/ext files.  Man, I know, so much for trying to please everyone, haha!  We're too "ornery"!

Thanks anyhow from all of us, I know the things I mentioned may not bother others.  If you let me be a PITA for one more minute, wanted to say that the link to the zeranoe site in your first post for 32-bit ffmpeg versions is defunct, he took down the whole site a while ago.  I get my builds now from gyan.dev (https://www.gyan.dev/ffmpeg/builds/) as listed at the official ffmpeg site and they are all 64-bit builds.

zkhcohen

zkhcohen:  1.7.5 does fix the duplicate spectrogram issue, thanks!  However, I greatly prefer the "granularity" and scale of the 1.7.4 spectrogram image compared to the "rounded" images and 3-point frequency label of this one, so much so that I immediately went back to 1.7.4.  I can live with the rare cases of my having duplicate artist/title/ext files.  Man, I know, so much for trying to please everyone, haha!  We're too "ornery"!

Thanks anyhow from all of us, I know the things I mentioned may not bother others.  If you let me be a PITA for one more minute, wanted to say that the link to the zeranoe site in your first post for 32-bit ffmpeg versions is defunct, he took down the whole site a while ago.  I get my builds now from gyan.dev (https://www.gyan.dev/ffmpeg/builds/) as listed at the official ffmpeg site and they are all 64-bit builds.

I had to go back to see what you meant. This was actually an unintended side effect of the fix. I'll revert it while keeping the other things in place. Thanks for notifying me that the old ffmpeg source was removed as well.

I should have another update later today, but it will maintain the same version number. I'll let you know.

zkhcohen

sveakul

OK, this newer one (I call it 175a) successfully loses the "micky moused" look of 175!  There are differences in the PNG produced from that of 174 though, not sure if those are intentional due to scaling changes you mentioned.  The raw 174 PNG is 1658 X 384, while the one created by 175a is 1380 X 384, which ends up blending some of the finer detail of 174.  Therefore, 174 still has a more pleasing look when actually displayed in the MusicBee GUI panel, although correct scaling trumps "pleasing look" every time.  So if correcting the scaling is what caused the change, please keep it.

I have uploaded both the 174 and 175 "created" raw PNGs, and screenshots of how they look in my own MB panel, for the same song, so you can see what I refer to:  https://filebin.net/x8cl6inb9m81m3hx/spectrogram.7z?t=9x1bqh5v .  The upload expires after a week.  Let me know what you think.
Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 12:41:04 AM by sveakul

zkhcohen

OK, this newer one (I call it 175a) successfully loses the "micky moused" look of 175!  There are differences in the PNG produced from that of 174 though, not sure if those are intentional due to scaling changes you mentioned.  The raw 174 PNG is 1658 X 384, while the one created by 175a is 1380 X 384, which ends up blending some of the finer detail of 174.  Therefore, 174 still has a more pleasing look when actually displayed in the MusicBee GUI panel, although correct scaling trumps "pleasing look" every time.  So if correcting the scaling is what caused the change, please keep it.

I have uploaded both the 174 and 175 "created" raw PNGs, and screenshots of how they look in my own MB panel, for the same song, so you can see what I refer to:  https://filebin.net/x8cl6inb9m81m3hx/spectrogram.7z?t=9x1bqh5v .  The upload expires after a week.  Let me know what you think.

Hmm... yeah.

I implemented that due to a scaling issue in FFMPEG, but I don't really like the result either now that I've removed the height-scaling.

If I have time today I'll revert that as well. I realize now that it didn't really accomplish anything.

sveakul

OK, glad to see you thought the new scale wasn't preferable and are reverting it.  Please let us know when "175b" is ready to download and thanks a million for all the time you've spent on this!

zkhcohen

OK, glad to see you thought the new scale wasn't preferable and are reverting it.  Please let us know when "175b" is ready to download and thanks a million for all the time you've spent on this!

175b is uploaded at the same url.

sveakul

Whoops, spoke too soon... 175b no longer honors the existence of a placeholder.png image to be displayed in lieu of the spectrogram when playing radio stations.  Otherwise just empty space, and like Nature I abhor a vacuum  ;) .  Any chance of a 175c that fixes the regression?