Author Topic: MB not updating/auto organizing folders  (Read 1996 times)

antidoteyymbr

I have version 3.2.6760 and updated and closed out of the program etc. I noticed recently (this week) that when I am renaming an artists album, the file is not being moved to the new folder. For example: when i have a new song on an album that is not named yet, I tag it as "TBD" meaning to be determined. So the song I had here from Chelsea Grind called Dead Rose was from months ago before they said the album would be called Eternal Nightmare. So I had it in the album called TBD. i have changed all the tags and everything to Eternal Nightmare, however, MB is not moving the Dead Rose song file from TBD to Eternal Nightmare, even though the program shows it appropriately tagged in Eternal Nightmare.

Screenshots as well. I have always had MB settings to auto organize the library, so I think there could be a bug or issue in those settings or code or w/e.

I have always used the Inbox feature to avoid issues like this. I use it when I have new songs I drop them in the Inbox, tag them accordingly and then actually add them to the MB Library, which has never had an issue. Once the songs are in the library, if i have ever made changes, they would be auto/organized by MB accordingly. Let me know your thoughts. I am thinking maybe a new update or something got messed up? Thanks!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/7ei9xphcw404xz5/1.JPG
http://www.mediafire.com/view/rxxf6l14hlz525m/2.JPG
http://www.mediafire.com/view/wdy79zc4dm56ijm/3.JPG

Auto Organize Template: http://www.mediafire.com/file/hb8eakn86ymek29/Mb44.JPG

Last Edit: Today at 01:37:39 AM by antidoteyymbr

Steven

Administrator

Reply #1 on: Today at 10:12:53 AM

I am not able to reproduce any issues with the auto-organise functionality, and that includes editing the file tags in the Inbox (which wont get auto-organised) and then moving the file to the library (which does cause the file to be auto-organised).
Its not functionality that has been touched for a long time and not something i can recall anyone reporting as an issue, so i will leave this unsolved.
You dont show your auto-organise template. So if i want further help i suggest you set up a Questions topic

redwing

The reason it's not working is you only have C: to Y: rule for music. You need Y: to Y: rule additionally to make them auto-move following tag changes after initially moved to Y drive.

antidoteyymbr

So what has changed then? I haven't had this issue before this week or so?

redwing

antidoteyymbr

I must not have noticed this then, because I just moved my library to the external Y drive when it all used to be on my C drive. I did the mapping and everything seemed to work. I just clicked proceed and now i think i killed MB :(

Also should I just be leaving the naming template blank? It seems like that could be causing problems, but then again I am not really sure I understand what it is doing...

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ko5zca5ydabymt8/Current.JPG

redwing

Each rule must have a naming template even if they are exactly the same, otherwise it won't work properly.

antidoteyymbr

Well I left mine both blank and clicked proceed and MB has been frozen ever since I posted that screenshot...

frankz

What were you trying to accomplish with a blank naming template? You're literally telling it to do nothing.

antidoteyymbr

It shows the original file name on the left and the new one on the right in the columns in the screenshot. So if it is looking how I want it to, then I clicked proceed without having to enter a custom naming template. Do I have to enter a naming template for it to organize it? Because when I do, I am not sure how to set it up to get the same results.

Also I should note that when I did try and enter a custom naming template using the provided tags, my MB still just hung and froze up. I am wondering if it is because I have 40,000 songs and it is like renaming every single one now? But I haven't had to do that before when using auto organize. And just for a time update, it is still sitting as of now. I don't want to try and force close the program again, because I feel like that will cause issues, and maybe in a couple of days MB will finally say "complete"! haha

UPDATED

Ok so i entered the custom naming template after restarting and now it is processing, but everything is saying "error cannot create a file when that file already exists, file will remain at original location"

So once again I am back to square one it seems. It still won't reorganize the songs if I change the album name from "TBD" to "Eternal Nightmare" even with the new adding of the Y to Y drive mapping as suggested.... any next steps?
Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 11:54:45 AM by antidoteyymbr

frankz

It's telling you what it's doing.  It's not doing anything because the files are already there.  

The C to Y rule is there to handle files on your hard drive when you initially import them. It moves them to the Y drive based on how they're tagged at that moment.

The Y to Y rule is only to handle those that are already on your Y drive when you re-tag them.  If you've not changed any tags in those files, of course they're already where they need to be and don't need to be moved.

I don't auto-organize for this exact reason, by the way.  You have to plan for and account for every possible scenario ahead of time.  It winds up being more trouble than it's worth. For me.

When I import files, I organize them.  If I update some files, I re-organize them.  That way I can set the template for the content on the fly and not have to figure out if 6 months from now there's going to be some Various Artists compilation that I'm going to want to handle differently.

YMMV, but it doesn't appear that it is at this point.

antidoteyymbr

Ok so then my question would be if I don't auto organize the files, then I change a tag, MB says the file cannot be found and asks me to locate it. Then i have to go to windows explorer and point it to the right file every single time. Isn't that very time consuming or am I still missing how this was as easy at is seemed before?

If the files are on the Y drive and I update the tags, then it should move them to the new folder on the Y drive. For example: when i changed the songs album from TBD to Eternal Nightmare. It was still on the Y drive, but it didn't automatically move it.

antidoteyymbr

Yeahhhhh that naming template seems to have been left blank for a reason. Now when I tried to use it, this is what is happening to my files: http://www.mediafire.com/file/av8sct66d3cqehs/xfgnxfgn.JPG  :'(

UPDATE

So yeah idk what the issue was but I basically just luckily had a backup from lastweek of my settings and just restored them and now everything is mapping and moving properly, even though the same auto-organize and naming templates are there. I think there was definitely a bug when I upgraded for whatever reason, because like I said i had never messed with the naming templates or auto organize feature in forever. Thanks though!
Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 10:55:31 PM by antidoteyymbr