Author Topic: question about rating and tagging in 3.2.6756 ,just update from 3.1.6590  (Read 1582 times)

gaiastar

hi
i just update musicbee to version 3.2.6756

and i can rate and tag my songs

in the past it was a problem , to fix the problem i had to disable my antivirus -> my question about it in the forum

now with version 3.2.6756 i have no more issues , i can rate and tag

does Steven change the musicbee behavior ? i mean does musicbee write directly on the file without moving
The windows temp folder is used when recreating files as a result of tagging
?

or does musicbee use a different temp folder to recreating files as a result of tagging?

i have read the changelog but i have not find such informations

thanks
sorry for my poor english
Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 07:34:40 AM by gaiastar
MusicBee is the best audio player ever made, Love it ♫♫

redwing

Maybe related to this: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=24756.0

If you encounter that issue again, I suggest you install a non-store version instead and use a custom temp folder setting.

gaiastar

Maybe related to this: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=24756.0

If you encounter that issue again, I suggest you install a non-store version instead and use a custom temp folder setting.
hi

i don't use the windows store version , i use the portable version

i guess it still uses the temp folder  because i have lots of files in the windows temp folder called for example MusicBee_000001.tmp (with file size zero)

instead and use a custom temp folder setting
how can i setup a custom temp folder ?
can not find in the musicbee preferences

thanks

redwing

sveakul

Hi gaiastar:  do the *.tmp files you are seeing get deleted when you exit MusicBee, or do they stick around?  If they aren't deleted, do they grow in size or number?  Since you just updated to 3.2, I'm wondering if some or all may be left over from the old version.

As redwing pointed out from Steven's older post, if for any reason you wanted to change the temp folder MB uses you can just insert the following code line into MusicBee3Settings.ini:

<ENV_TempFolder>c:\temp</ENV_TempFolder>

..where "c:\temp" reflects the name and path of the new folder (change as desired).

gaiastar

Hi gaiastar:  do the *.tmp files you are seeing get deleted when you exit MusicBee, or do they stick around?  If they aren't deleted, do they grow in size or number?  Since you just updated to 3.2, I'm wondering if some or all may be left over from the old version.

As redwing pointed out from Steven's older post, if for any reason you wanted to change the temp folder MB uses you can just insert the following code line into MusicBee3Settings.ini:

<ENV_TempFolder>c:\temp</ENV_TempFolder>

..where "c:\temp" reflects the name and path of the new folder (change as desired).
Hi Sveakul
well i can see musebee 3.2 can bypass my antivirus , worried about my antivirus but  happy because i can tag all my audio files with musicbee , in the past i had to use foobar or mp3tag

well i run the portable version and i upgrade (i run it ) and pointed to the same 3.1 folder

it creates several tmp files and it doesn't delete them , they are 0KB

but i have changed the MusicBee3Settings.ini
and i have added <ENV_TempFolder>c:\temp</ENV_TempFolder> with the notepad
i guess i should have used another program to edit the ini file maybe notepad++

i guess it should be added in the preferences , on a laptop (slow but with ssd) i have eset smart security premium isntalled and on the second laptop kaspersky internet security ,on both i added musicbee.exe in the exlusions list

now it creates 2 or more files in the c:\temp folder around 6 or 7 MB and it deletes when i close musicbee

the problem is when i try to tag many many files for example 100 files

and i have to test it better because mostly of my audio are in mp3 and flac format but i have ape ,alac and some opus for my smartphone

thanks a lot Sveakul

sveakul

well i run the portable version and i upgrade (i run it ) and pointed to the same 3.1 folder

it creates several tmp files and it doesn't delete them , they are 0KB

but i have changed the MusicBee3Settings.ini
and i have added <ENV_TempFolder>c:\temp</ENV_TempFolder> with the notepad
i guess i should have used another program to edit the ini file maybe notepad++

now it creates 2 or more files in the c:\temp folder around 6 or 7 MB and it deletes when i close musicbee

the problem is when i try to tag many many files for example 100 files

gaiastar:  so, the 0 byte tmp files were created right after you did the update to portable 3.2 over the existing portable 3.1 folder?  If you delete those manually do they come back and stay after exiting MusicBee?

Nothing wrong with using the regular Notepad to add the the code to the ini file.

If the files now being created in c:\temp are being autodeleted when you close MusicBee, then all is operating normally.  Tagging can create large tmp files during the process, but if they are being cleaned up upon exit everything is fine.  The reason for moving the temp folder via the code line addition was to give users a way to have the tmp files created on a different drive for space reasons or to keep them off a SSD while MusicBee is actually running.

MusicBee has a powerful tagger and I'm glad it's working for you now.  I use it for "tweaks" but do my bulk tagging "offline" with an external tagger (Kid3), just personal preference.

gaiastar

hi Sveakul

gaiastar:  so, the 0 byte tmp files were created right after you did the update to portable 3.2 over the existing portable 3.1 folder?  If you delete those manually do they come back and stay after exiting MusicBee?
yes after the update and yes if i delete them they does come back without changing MusicBee3Settings.ini

If the files now being created in c:\temp are being autodeleted when you close MusicBee, then all is operating normally
yes ,after i have added in MusicBee3Settings.ini <ENV_TempFolder>c:\temp</ENV_TempFolder> , musicbee creates 1 or more temp files and when i close musicbee , it deletes them

thank a lot for the support/help , really appreciate it

sveakul

No problem gaiastar, glad the new temp folder fixed it (redwing, your pointer appreciated!).  BTW gaiastar if you're still using VST's tell us what your experience has been in the Plugins/VST Effects Plugin forum, been kinda lonely in there haha  ;)