Author Topic: Sort by Date Added, Reverse Tracklist?  (Read 1829 times)

spike96

Hello, I am a long time user of MusicBee (since around 2013).

I recently purchased a new computer and am trying to transfer over some settings. I like to sort by Date Added (Descending), so I am able to see the music that was added latest at the top of MusicBee. I've defined this custom sorting on my new machine, and it sorts by Date Added (Descending), but it will display album tracks in the reverse order. If I choose sort by Date Added (Ascending) the tracks will be displayed in the correct order, but my new music will be at the bottom of MusicBee.

On my old machine (version 2.5.5490), no matter if I chose date added by descending or ascending, tracks would be displayed in the correct forward order.

Anyway to sort by Date Added (Descending) in the correct tracklist order?

Thanks for any help!

frankz

My albums stay in order no matter which direction Date Added goes (v 3.2).  I sort using the column headers, not a menu option if that matters.

What version are you using?  Hopefully not that old version.  Are you in tracks view or some other view?  What is it that you're sorting - your library or a playlist?

If it's not working properly, try sorting using the column header to get date added going the way you want and then hold down CRTL and click the Album column header to sort by that field secondarily.  But I don't have to do that, MB just does it the right way.

spike96

Hi frankz, thanks for the response.

So the version of MB on my new machine is 3.1.6590

I am using the Album and Tracks view (but even in the Tracks view, the albums are in reverse order). I am sorting my library. I am using the column headers to sort, I just go to define custom sorting, first entry, select Date Added, then Descending, and done.

I've really spent a lot of time on this and I can't figure it out, there must be some setting I'm missing.

frankz

You are not using the column headers to sort.  You're using menu settings.  Try this:

If it's not working properly, try sorting using the column header to get date added going the way you want and then hold down CRTL and click the Album column header to sort by that field secondarily.  But I don't have to do that, MB just does it the right way.

You should probably update to 3.2, too.  Not sure if you're using the Desktop or Windows Store version, but the Windows Store version should update soon.  Desktop version is available through the forum thread for new versions.
Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 01:06:10 PM by frankz

spike96

Hi frankz, I tried your suggestion with CTRL + click to sort by album secondarily, but once I do that, sort by Date Added (Desc) is not the primary sorting anymore. It will only sort by album at that point.

I believe I am sorting by the column browser. I am right clicking any one of the columns ("Artist", "Album", "Track", etc.), hovering Sort By, then I click Define Custom sorting. You can also find this setting in preferences under Sorting/Grouping and they are connected.

I will try updating to 3.2, though I am doubtful it will change anything.

EDIT: Just updated to 3.2.6756 and tried everything we talked about so far, still no dice.
Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 04:06:28 PM by spike96

Steven

• Administrator
use "Date Added (Album)" which maintains exaactly the same date/time for all tracks in the album

spike96

use "Date Added (Album)" which maintains exaactly the same date/time for all tracks in the album

D'oh! Can't believe I missed that, ugh! Thanks, Steven!

frankz

I believe I am sorting by the column browser. I am right clicking any one of the columns ("Artist", "Album", "Track", etc.), hovering Sort By, then I click Define Custom sorting. You can also find this setting in preferences under Sorting/Grouping and they are connected.
Glad you worked it out.

For future reference, you sort by a column header by left clicking the column (i.e. the word "Album" or words "Date Added") you want to sort by for ascending, clicking it again for descending.

I use regular date added.  Looking at the resolution that worked for you, I wonder why my albums are sorted properly no matter which way I sort Date Added.  Weird.
Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 05:44:37 PM by frankz