Author Topic: Musicbee won't start (nothing to do with avast)  (Read 2859 times)

9ido

Hello,

Recently my computer is acting up, something to do with video and probably a defective VDU. Sometimes crashed occur. Lately, Musicbee crashed with the audio in a stutter-loop. I had to stop it from the task manager.

Since that point, Musicbee does not start anymore! :(

I did restart, reinstall musicbee (but not completely remove it before, is that safe for my libary and playlists?) but to no avail. It shows the splash screen, but stops loading there. The taskmanager tells me 'not responding' and taking about 35% CPU and a varying amount of RAM.

What can I do to get my beloved music player back up and running again?

9ido

I found these reports on the crashes, to me they make no sense but perhaps they can help someone on this forum to help me?

I

The program MusicBee.exe version 3.2.6651.29783 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
 Process ID: 202c
 Start Time: 01d40b93188afddf
 Termination Time: 4294967295
 Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\MusicBee.exe
 Report Id: f0f06c8b-b981-4721-b206-5a96b720fb02
 Faulting package full name:
 Faulting package-relative application ID:

-----
II

Source
MusicBee

Summary
Stopped responding and was closed

Date
‎24-‎Jun-‎18 11:12

Status
Report sent

Description
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
Faulting Application Path:    C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\MusicBee.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:    AppHangB1
Application Name:    MusicBee.exe
Application Version:    3.2.6651.29783
Application Timestamp:    5aae950e
Hang Signature:    0000
Hang Type:    134217984
OS Version:    10.0.17134.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID:    1033
Additional Hang Signature 1:    00000000000000000000000000000000
Additional Hang Signature 2:    0000
Additional Hang Signature 3:    00000000000000000000000000000000
Additional Hang Signature 4:    0000
Additional Hang Signature 5:    00000000000000000000000000000000
Additional Hang Signature 6:    0000
Additional Hang Signature 7:    00000000000000000000000000000000

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID:    2ef4411b0051cc515652c9458b731c65 (1608569317454191717)

9ido

I have tried to remove all executable and dll's and reinstall, I have checked the drive for errors, I have moved all the configuration files temporarily out of the folder. All to no avail.

For added clarity, I am NOT (and have never) running Avast. My AV is Bitdefender.

I would really appreciate any help, I am pretty clueless what to try next. Is deinstalling/reinstalling safe for my library and playlists? Because I have invested many, many hours in the latter and losing them would be a disaster.

supersonic

It's never happened with MusicBee but I've had oddly similar problems with other programs in the past where a crash has happened and they've not been able to open again, it's not the ideal solution but because I keep a very lean computer and very frequent backups I went the nuclear option and just clean reinstalled the OS to fix it.

However that's quite an extreme solution which leads me to if you download the portable version of MusicBee and install it to a folder see if that opens up ok, if it does, it's probably a problem with the MusicBee install/library, if it doesn't it's probably a problem with the OS or another program, to see if it's another program start the computer in safe mode and I'd try and open the portable version again, if it doesn't open it's definitely an OS problem.

As for your other questions properly uninstalling MusicBee should not affect your library as your library should be in *user*/Music/MusicBee which a clean install of MusicBee should pickup, to be safe though you can always copy that library folder as a backup. That way you can clean install MusicBee and even though you may loose your layout your library (assuming that's not the problem) should be safe.

If worst comes to worst and some of the library files have broken/corrupted, inside the MusicBee library folder are your playlists which if you had to completely start again you should be able to import those in and at least not loose your playlists.

Steven

• Administrator

9ido

Thanks so much for the help!

I disabled Bitdefender but to no avail.

Then I downloaded the portable. It started without a problem. Then I de-installed MusicBee and re-installed it. Started it up, it asked me for the language.. so far so good. And then, nothing. It sits in the background tasks, eating about 30% CPU, Windows does not tell me it's not responding, but otherwise nothing much has changed. :(

What can I try next?

9ido

I have made a backup of the entire user\music\musicbee folder. Scanning the content, I noticed that there is a library.bak there that's two day old, which should be perfect since the crash and problems occurred today and nothing has changed to my library in the last two days. How do I proceed to revert to this backup? Or should I try something else instead?

9ido

I have changed the MusicBeeLibrary.bak into .mbl and did the same for MusicBeeLibrarySettings.ini.
There is another file that's changed at the same time (minute) and that's NowPlaying.mbp. It is ok to erase this? And is there anything else I should do or try? All the other files have older timestamps, though the MusicBeeLibrary.upd only by one minute (so, could be a split second difference.) Or is this it and can I try to start the program now?

supersonic

I think it's safe to delete that, even if it isn't you have a copy so can replace it anyway.

That's good news that the portable version works so it must be a library problem then, I don't know the specifics of your library but you could also try importing your library into the portable version (I'd make a 2nd/3rd copy of your library to do that from) at which point if your library is how you like it you can then backup/import that library to your installed version.

It also might be worth looking at using the portable version full time, all the library, app data and program is contained in one folder which you can copy and backup frequently if anything were to happen to corrupt the program or library again you can just nuke the whole folder and copy your backup back on, I use portable versions of apps for exactly that reason.

Steven

• Administrator
if it does turn out to be a corrupt musicbeelibrary.mbl file, could you send me a link to a zip of it

9ido

Problem seems solved by reverting to backup versions of library and library.ini files. Also deleted the nowplaying file. Before that I did uninstall and install a fresh copy, did not work. But now everything seems fine, only lost my layout (in what file is that stored? i might have a backup) but that's no big deal. Very happy to have things running again, thanks guys!

if it does turn out to be a corrupt musicbeelibrary.mbl file, could you send me a link to a zip of it

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jizqyhrwa7agqtd/MusicBeeLibrary.zip

Steven

• Administrator
Thanks for sending the file. It is corrupted and for future MB versions i have put in some additional handling for detecting the corruption.