Author Topic: "Carriage returns" added to edited embedded lyrics?  (Read 1663 times)

sveakul

Within MusicBee, if I edit embedded lyrics in the Now Playing lyrics panel then re-embed them into the file (id3v2.3), the Lyrics field then gets flagged in the Kid3 tag editor as "Carriage return is forbidden", when they showed without that flag pre-edit.  Kid3 is designed to flag a certain amount of tag standards violations.  This shows up for ANY kind of lyrics edit in MB, whether I use the "Return" key or not.  So my question is, DOES MusicBee insert carriage returns into a lyrics tag when they are edited in Now Playing before being embedded?

I wasn't able to find anything specifically addressing this in the  ID3v2.3 standards for lyrics.  I will take this question up with the Kid3 tagger's developer, but first wanted to know if MusicBee was "by-design" including "carriage returns" for lyrics edited and re-embedded within its own Now Playing lyrics panel, even for edits like spelling corrections or punctuations not using actual keyboard returns.  If not, the flag would be a "false positive" by Kid3 and I'd like to let its developer know.

Note that the lyrics tags showing this error in Kid3 still show up and "perform" normally in MusicBee.  I'm just the kind of person who gets nervous seeing red flags  :o

Steven

• Administrator
So my question is, DOES MusicBee insert carriage returns into a lyrics tag when they are edited in Now Playing before being embedded?
yes, a single <lf> is converted to <cr><lf> which is the windows standard and needed for the textbox control. Its news to me that <cr> is not valid and not something i would agree to change

sveakul

Thank you Steven for your reply and confirming that a <cr> is added during editing.  I have been unable to find anything at id3.org that says this violates any standard;  indeed the USLT frame description says "Newline characters are allowed in the text", without specifying any exclusions.  I will therefore be pointing this out to the Kid3 developer as something he needs to check.

Appreciated the look at such an esoteric issue.