Author Topic: sorting playlists individually?  (Read 3328 times)

deja

So I'm a recent convert to MusicBee and I'm loving it so far, but I'm having one particular issue I couldn't figure out. When I click one of the columns in a playlist to sort by, like Date Added, it automatically sorts all my playlists like that. Most of my playlists I've carefully curated into a certain order, and while I can reset them back to that manual order through the context menu, it leaves me high and dry if I want to sort anything else a different way.

A Recently Added playlist isn't much use to me in random order, nor is a Top 25 Most Played not sorted by playcount. This is a problem with both regular and auto playlists.

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to sort each playlist individually, and if so how? Searching the question didn't turn up anything recent or conclusive. I'm just lost and frustrated at this point. If MusicBee can't do this then it's really just not worth the switch from iTunes for me.

[Oh and thorough descriptions of where to find what setting would be appreciated. I don't know my way around the many menus yet.]
Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 07:27:18 PM by deja

redwing

For static playlists, right click> playlist settings> change displayed fields setting to custom. Also note playlists with "default" setting will keep the same fields if you adjust one of them.
For auto-playlists, if you adjust any setting like add/remove a column or resizing a column width turns it into a custom fields playlist.

Mauser69

Every playlist has a "natural" order - this is initially the order in which the items were originally added to the list.  Sort on the # column will always return the list to the natural order.

You can change the natural order of any specific playlist by simply starting with the display in the natural order and then dragging tracks up or down to a different order - this is great for relatively simple order changes. 

For more drastic changes, you can use any combination of re-sorting on individual fields, dragging tracks, deleting and re-adding, etc.  Once  you have the new displayed order exactly how you like it, just choose the menu option to "Update Play Order" to make this the new natural order.  This makes it very simple to do any temporary sorting you like, but always immediately return to you preferred sort order with just one click.

sveakul

For more drastic changes, you can use any combination of re-sorting on individual fields, dragging tracks, deleting and re-adding, etc.  Once  you have the new displayed order exactly how you like it, just choose the menu option to "Update Play Order" to make this the new natural order.  This makes it very simple to do any temporary sorting you like, but always immediately return to you preferred sort order with just one click.

Mauser69--thanks for this.

deja

OH, okay so it was the playlists being in default view that was causing my problem I think. I believe I have it figured out now. It's a lot of new stuff to learn after using iTunes for so long. Thank you very much for the help!

Steven

• Administrator
If you update to v3.2 its a bit easier to configure custom settings for new static playlists and more obvious. Each auto-playlist always uses its own custom settings for fields/ sorting

https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=24754.msg146358#new

redwing

Each auto-playlist always uses its own custom settings for fields/ sorting

I don't think it works that way.
Try this. Create a new auto-playlist, then add or remove a column from a default fields static playlist. Then you will see the auto-playlist follows the change, which means it's not a custom fields playlist yet.

redwing

OH, okay so it was the playlists being in default view that was causing my problem I think.

Just to make sure, the setting I was referring to was the left one, not the right one:

The right one is custom view setting. You can achieve what you want with that as well but then you will have to create a new custom view for each playlist. If you set to a custom with the left setting, it will just remember each playlist's own settings regardless of the selected view.