Author Topic: Newest bass.dll  (Read 5989 times)

sveakul

Just FYI, the un4seen site BASS developer just posted the latest in a series of revisions to the "official" 2.4.13.8 release of bass.dll, version 2.4.13.18 dated 2018-06-28.  These "unofficial" versions have been described by the developer as being, and I quote,  "... 'in development' updates that are made available between releases--They are still 'release' builds and usually fine for production use."  Following that definition, and Steven's past statement that manually updating BASS libraries between MusicBee releases is "usually fine", I normally do just that.  You can get this one here if you're interested:

http://www.un4seen.com/stuff/bass.zip

(updated 06/28/2018)
Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 08:13:36 PM by sveakul

ShayUrkell

Man, thanks for sharing this!

By the way, just in case anyone’s interested, my contact is selling a few truck wheel and tire packages. If anyone’s interested, feel free to PM me.
Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 02:56:31 AM by ShayUrkell

sveakul

No problem!  While I'm on the subject... the bassasio.dll has also been updated by almost 4 years compared to the "official link", the new one is here:

https://www.un4seen.com/stuff/bassasio.zip

The basswasapi.dll at the "official" link (https://www.un4seen.com/download.php?basswasapi24) is however indeed the latest version;  the one at the "stuff" directory is actually slightly older.  Keeps you on your toes, haha..  This has been known to semi-fix some odd seeking issues so if you use WASAPI it's a good choice to check that your basswasapi.dll is version 2.4.2+.

Because it should be said:  just updating to a newer BASS library does not mean anything is going to sound better or create a "magic fix" for an issue you are having with your audio.  However, developers update their work for a reason, so it's not a totally bonkers idea that you may benefit from some slight change.
Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 06:43:53 PM by sveakul

sveakul

FYI, this was just posted by the BASS developer at the un4seen site concerning changes made to bass.dll since 2.4.13.8 (the version currently distributed in MusicBee):

"Here's what the changelog (since 2.4.13.8 ) currently looks like:

* Support for playback on the "no sound" device
   BASS_Init
   BASS_StreamCreateFile/User/URL
   BASS_SampleLoad/Create
   BASS_ChannelPlay
* Access to the 3D output mix for applying DSP/FX
   STREAMPROC_DEVICE_3D (BASS_StreamCreate option)
* Retrieval of a device's started/stopped status
   BASS_IsStarted
* Sync for when a device stops unexpectedly
   BASS_SYNC_DEV_FAIL (BASS_ChannelSetSync type)
* New channel playback state for a paused device
   BASS_ACTIVE_PAUSED_DEVICE (BASS_ChannelIsActive)
* Windows mixer settings are retained by default and optionally not
   BASS_CONFIG_WASAPI_PERSIST (BASS_SetConfig option)
* Fix for bug in playback buffering disabling option
   BASS_ATTRIB_NOBUFFER (BASS_ChannelSetAttribute option)

There are also some other tweaks and fixes."

The latest development version available as of today is 2.4.14.2, at https://www.un4seen.com/stuff/bass.zip .

Note: using development versions means they have not been fully "wrung out/tested" with MusicBee by Steven, so keep a backup of the MusicBee version in case you encounter any problems.

[updated 03/10/2019]
Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 06:52:29 AM by sveakul

hiccup

Out of curiosity I checked un4seen's website for bass dll updates.
I found there are quite a few that are more recent than what MB is currently using.
Some of them only mention very minor changes, but some have a lengthier list of updates and fixes.

I have no clue whatsoever if any of them improves anything at all for MusicBee, but I couldn't help myself and updated them all.
So far so good, everything still seems to be working well.

These are the ones I updated:

(current MusicBee version vs. current un4seen version)
bass.dll  2.4.14.0  >  2.4.16.7
bass_fx  2.4.12.1  >  2.4.12.6
bassasio  1.4.0.2  >  1.4.1.0
basscd  2.4.6.0  >  2.4.7.1
bassenc  2.4.14.0  >  2.4.16.1
bassflac  2.4.4.3  >  2.4.4.7
basshls  2.4.2.0  >  2.4.3.1
bassmix  2.4.9.1  >  2.4.11.2
bassopus  2.4.1.13  >  2.4.2.1

This is not a recommendation to anyone to do the same.
It's just me acting a guinea pig, consciously going against the wise adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

sveakul

I have no clue whatsoever if any of them improves anything at all for MusicBee, but I couldn't help myself and updated them all.
So far so good, everything still seems to be working well.
I have been doing this since day one and it's "so far so good" here also.  There are also some less obvious updates "hidden" in the https://www.un4seen.com/stuff/ directory, like the update for bass_aac.dll to 2.4.5.22 that seems to have helped people with some AAC streams.  It seems good practice to me to update major parts of the audio engine, especially when we're talking about differences of over 2 years as is the case with bass.dll.

hiccup

There are also some less obvious updates "hidden" in the https://www.un4seen.com/stuff/ directory, like the update for bass_aac.dll to 2.4.5.22 that seems to have helped people with some AAC streams.  It seems good practice to me to update major parts of the audio engine, especially when we're talking about differences of over 2 years as is the case with bass.dll.
That link is 'forbidden' to me.

Obviously I completely trust 'our developer' on his motivations for updating or not updating these dll's.
But there will be users of the likes of you and me that are inquisitive about such aging components, and why they aren't updated.

Perhaps it would be an idea to publish some side-channel 'alpha' version of MusicBee that contains all these updated bass dll's.
I'm sure there will be quite a few 'power users' willing to use and test such a release.
If these users don't report problems that may be related to these updated dll's it might be safe to update all of them for a next official release.

I believe one argument for holding back on updating them is that some antivirus companies may trigger false warnings on software containing such new dll's.
That problem would probably also get mitigated if enough volunteering alpha testers would get confronted with such false positives and report them to the AV companies involved.

sveakul

Hi hiccup,
That link is 'forbidden' to me.
Sorry I should have mentioned you need to actually include a bass package in that link, like "https://www.un4seen.com/stuff/bass_aac.zip ," or else you get the forbidden message.  This of course results in a guessing game if there are development updates "hidden" at that address unless you actually plug in package names.  SOME of these are posted by Ian Luck here, notably absent the example I gave: https://www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=19224.0 .

I believe one argument for holding back on updating them is that some antivirus companies may trigger false warnings on software containing such new dll's.
That problem would probably also get mitigated if enough volunteering alpha testers would get confronted with such false positives and report them to the AV companies involved.
This was indeed the issue described by Steven a while back in the forum;  he had been getting so many user complaints about their AV triggering on the new bass files that he just gave up doing up it.  None of the issues were due to actual viruses, just false alarms due to the DLL compression methods used by Un4seen.  This has never happened to me with Windows Defender but we're all aware of the problems others like Avast have caused in the past.  Also, some people think that running a file past VirusTotal and getting 2 red flags out of 62 "all clear" flags is a cause for concern.

hiccup

Also, some people think that running a file past VirusTotal and getting 2 red flags out of 62 "all clear" flags is a cause for concern.
Haha,
I think I actually recall a user complaining about MusicBee perhaps containing a virus when only one of 70+ 'av machines' triggered some 'we think this might contain the 'wewillburnyourhousedownandcryptolockyourwifeandyourgirfriendtoo' virus.

Fear for things like that is a very bad advisor and should be ignored in my opinion.
At best it may filter out users that are not very computer savvy to begin with, and would be better off using something like Spotify.

hiccup

…This of course results in a guessing game if there are development updates "hidden" at that address unless you actually plug in package names.  SOME of these are posted by Ian Luck here…,
Thnx, I looked at some of that.
Far as I understand, those are versions that Ian Luck himself considers alpha or beta?
Those might be interesting for developers willing to help in testing them out, but I'm not sure a publicly released version MusicBee should be used for such testing?

I am assuming that the versions I mentioned and updated to are considered 'final and stable' by Ian Luck.
So publishing a MB version containing those should only reveal problems regarding MusicBee. (and perhaps some mediocre AV software such as Avast)
And such issues should probably better be confronted sooner than later.

Steven

• Administrator
These are the ones I updated:

(current MusicBee version vs. current un4seen version)
bass.dll  2.4.14.0  >  2.4.16.7
bass_fx  2.4.12.1  >  2.4.12.6
bassasio  1.4.0.2  >  1.4.1.0
basscd  2.4.6.0  >  2.4.7.1
bassenc  2.4.14.0  >  2.4.16.1
bassflac  2.4.4.3  >  2.4.4.7
basshls  2.4.2.0  >  2.4.3.1
bassmix  2.4.9.1  >  2.4.11.2
bassopus  2.4.1.13  >  2.4.2.1

This is not a recommendation to anyone to do the same.
It's just me acting a guinea pig, consciously going against the wise adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it".
I advise against updating basscd.dll as newer versions cause issues for musicbee when ripping.
The others normally cause no problems although I havent tested the very latest

sveakul

Thnx, I looked at some of that.
Far as I understand, those are versions that Ian Luck himself considers alpha or beta?
Those might be interesting for developers willing to help in testing them out, but I'm not sure a publicly released version MusicBee should be used for such testing?
Ian describes them as:  "They are "Release" builds (no debug stuff) and are generally fine for use in production but should not be used blindly, ie. try them a bit first."  Which I would define as betas.  I agree with you that it wouldn't be a great idea to just incorporate those as-is.  I do use them all but I guess I like living dangerously, haha!  I always keep a backup of the supplied-with-MusicBee versions in case I have to roll something back.

Yes, the ones you mentioned in your post are all "final and stable."  This is the case for anything he posts in the regular Bass "Add-Ons" section.
Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 12:25:29 AM by sveakul

sveakul

I advise against updating basscd.dll as newer versions cause issues for musicbee when ripping.
The others normally cause no problems although I havent tested the very latest
Thanks Steven for the heads-up on basscd.dll.  That's something I wouldn't even have noticed, as the little ripping I still do is with EAC.