Author Topic: Devices Settings Menu: Max Resolution for Artwork  (Read 3231 times)

theta_wave

Wishlist: Have an option to set the max resolution for artwork copied to a device.

Issue: Online music retailers like Apple's iTunes are now including cover art >2000px with their album/song purchases.  The problem is that many musicplayers for phones/DAPs cannot handle such resolutions, so the copied artwork is displayed as an empty space.  

Workaround (not much of one currently): The existing option to resize artwork on-the-fly isn't a solution either because a setting of 1000px (or 700px) would resize small album artwork (CD rips where the only cover art found online is 300px) to much larger resolutions thereby increasing the space taken up by "folder.jpg" on the digital device.  For example, if one has a thousand singles transferred to a device (with other albums with hi-res artwork), wherein each single has individual artwork of 300px, then the larger converted artwork from those singles will unnecessarily balloon the amount of space taken up by album art for no discernible reason.

Conclusion: I believe having a setting to cap the artwork resolution transferred to a device will solve this issue.

Alumni

I always assumed that "resize" artwork only reduced the size of covers, not enlarged them.
Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 08:19:22 AM by Alumni

theta_wave

I always assumed that "resize" artwork only reduced the size of covers, not enlarged them.

Sadly, nope.  All the artwork gets resized to the value entered in the "resize artwork" field.  For example, I tested some albums whose artwork is 1000x and some albums that were 2000px.  The result after running a virtual device sync with "1500" in the "resize artwork" field is that all of the album art was converted to 1500px.
Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 04:43:56 AM by theta_wave

Steven

• Administrator
i agree it should not resized upwards, so thats changed for the next v3.2 update

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_2/MusicBee32_Patched.zip
Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 10:13:46 PM by Steven

theta_wave

Thanks Steven.  Your update works great!  Here's another donation.  :D