Author Topic: Is it possible for MB to switch sample rates automatically?  (Read 1706 times)

thelonius munk

This ability seems to be player dependent although I have only found Roon to be able to switch sample rates automatically between songs. Roon uses the native ASIO driver for my M-Audio Audiophile 2496 card. However, I would prefer not to pay a lot of money for Roon simply to have this capability.

Within Musicbee I have the option of choosing Directsound, WASAPI or ASIO (either M-Audio or Asio4All). However none of these options will switch automatically.

Am I missing something? Thanks.

frankz

WASAPI will change the sample rate of playback automatically as long as you don't have trick-play things like crossfading etc enabled.  Trick play puts everything to 44.1

My DAC lights up in different colors for 44.1 and 48, so I know it works on WASAPI. 

Probably ASIO, too, but I don't have that to be able to comment definitively on it.

thelonius munk

Wow, thank you for the quick and very helpful response. Once I disabled crossfading ASIO worked as you said. I would *never* have figured that out myself so thanks again. Have a great weekend!

sveakul

In the "interesting if not real relevant" department is the fact that in cases of running WASAPI Exclusive but the source audio having a sample rate that not compatible with your actual audio device, the bass.dll itself will resample it to 44.1kHz, even if  resampling is turned off (as it should be) in MusicBee.  Of course, if it did NOT do so, you couldn't hear the audio at all, so that's not a BAD thing.  For example, I have found some radio streams using a sample rate of 24kHz and 32kHz, rates that my audio device does not accept(only 44.1/48/96/192) , but which are resampled by bass.dll to 44.1 in MusicBee when using WASAPI Exclusive.  The non-BASS Foobar will not play these streams at all, unless a resampling plugin is used first for those "funky" rates.

Of course, as frankz said, any source with a rate acceptable to your audio device is passed without resampling in that native rate when using WASAPI exclusive, providing all the fade effects have been turned off.  BTW, all of this has nothing to do with what sample rate your "Windows Mixer" is set to, which of course is ignored completely with WASAPI Exclusive that uses basswasapi.dll in conjunction with bass.dll in MusicBee.
Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 04:40:23 AM by sveakul