Author Topic: Syncing music from my phone to MusicBee  (Read 3254 times)

tom

I apologize in advance if I'm just really oblivious and for whatever reason haven't found the obvious option to sync music from my phone to MusicBee but how do I do it? I've looked around the forums and wiki and haven't found anything mentioning syncing from a phone to MusicBee anywhere. Well, actually, there was one about a Windows phone but it didn't have any replies. MusicBee detects my device just fine but I have lots of music on my device MusicBee isn't detecting. The only way I can get some of my music to appear is if I go to the actual location where the music is, down to the last folder, if I'm a few folders up it won't show anything. Also, there doesn't seem to be an option anywhere to sync my phone's music to MusicBee. I just got a new laptop and had to install a new music player, I found this and for the most part it is fantastic and it's hard to believe you aren't asking money for it, but I had a ton of music on my phone beforehand and it'd be nice to sync my music from there to MusicBee so I could have all my music on my laptop too. Oh and I guess I should say all my music is on the SD card in the phone, my phone's storage is way too small to have all my music on it.

Thanks in advance for any help

Update: Have found the Scan Folders for New Files option. I included the location of the music on my phone in the list and clicked proceed, but to no avail. It says no new music found even though there's tons of music on my phone it isn't popping up on MusicBee still even if I go straight to my phone, this is to import into the library which I want. Once again thanks for any help in advance
Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 07:56:50 PM by tom

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Can you navigate to your phone's music folder in Windows Explorer?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
in that case, i suggest going the easy route and just copying the music that way. MusicBee isn't really designed for phone-to-pc syncing.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

tom

It's alright, I found another way, I figured out how to use Windows Media player to sync music from my phone to my laptop and then imported the Windows Media Player library into MusicBee. But most of the tracks don't have an album artist tag but have the artist tag, is there a way to auto copy what the artist tag says into what the album artist tag is?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
is there a way to auto copy what the artist tag says into what the album artist tag is?

Actually, if there's no album artist, musicbee will automatically treat the artist as the album artist.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

tom

Not for me https://imgur.com/a/JeNXzxp

see, for most of my songs they say unknown even though they have an artist, but i found out the left thing with all the artists in there go off of album artists and not normal artists, is there a way to change this so most of the songs will be put in the right artist?

supersonic

I use mp3tag for my tagging needs and you can definitely copy the Artist tag into the Album Artist tag using that, just use the Tag - Tag function, set 'Field: ALBUMARTIST' and 'Format string: %artist%' and that will do it.

I would strongly recommend having a backup of your music before experimenting with mp3tag though just in case you accidentally overwrite or remove a tag you didn't mean to as it's very hard to recover from if you do.

tom

Thanks, it did it. Now every artist appears on the left like it should.

phred

• Global Moderator
...copy the Artist tag into the Album Artist tag...
You should take a look at the Additional Tagging and Reporting Tools plugin. It will let you copy any tag to any other tag. And lots of other nifty features.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here