Author Topic: Unable to permanently change the volume of FLAC files?  (Read 1497 times)

HAL Lives

Hi All

I'm trying to permanently change the volume of my FLAC files instead of writing  Replaygain tags.

In the File Converter I check the "permanently adjust volume" box and click the "tracks to same volume" button but it's not working.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
Paul

redwing

It doesn't do volume analysis. The source files should already have RG tags.

sveakul

Paul:  If your FLACs are made from the original source, I would think twice before permanently altering them unless you plan on backing them all up first.  Seems to me to kind of defeat the purpose of FLAC.  That's the beauty of Replay Gain tagging--you can alter the playing gain but not the original files, and remove the tags at any time to revert playback to original, or try a different level.

Another option would be converting them all to say V0 VBR MP3's, and then you can alter the gain around all you want with Mp3gain, including permanently if you don't choose to make the "undo" tags.  With those FLACs still tucked away safe and sound.

HAL Lives

HAL Lives

Paul:  If your FLACs are made from the original source, I would think twice before permanently altering them unless you plan on backing them all up first.

I am transferring my music to a DAP, unfortunately it doesn't read Replaygain tags; as far as I can see it's mostly Android devices that will work with the tags, and even then only after the installation of a 3rd party plug-in.

I've duplicated my music library and need to permanently change the volume of the files before transferring them.