Author Topic: Multiple genre tags in Poweramp  (Read 5507 times)

NickIst

Recently I've uploaded some tracks tagged with MB. Unfortunately Poweramp replaces somehow '';'' with '':'' in multiple genre tag field. For example instead of Death Metal; Melodic Death Metal it displays Death Metal:Melodic Death Metal (without space beetwen them). This causes that I have a disticnt genre Death Metal:Melodic Death Metal. It's possible to rewrite it manuallly using poweramp itself, but I'm not eager to do that manually after each synchronization or download. P.S. I save MP3 tags as ID3v2.3 and ID3v1
https://imgur.com/a/QGAGcMz
Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 10:08:19 AM by NickIst

frankz

There's no actual question in this question, but this sounds like an issue for the Poweramp forum as to why they're using that format.  Unless I'm misunderstanding.  MB is correctly using ";" and splitting them in MB.

NickIst

There's no actual question in this question, but this sounds like an issue for the Poweramp forum as to why they're using that format.  Unless I'm misunderstanding.  MB is correctly using ";" and splitting them in MB.
Sorry, the question is why the poweramp does this (changes ; to :  thus making all that genre tagging in vain)? In MB everything is fine and it's not a format of poweramp. On poweramp forum the developer stated that poweramp suipports the ";'' and ''/'', but not ":'' . There is no solution to the problem on the poweramp forum as far as I've searched. So before creating another corrresponding topic there Í've decided to adress the issue here in hope that someone has already resolved it

phred

• Global Moderator
@nicklist- your question appears to be why poweramp changes ; to :. MB is not making the change, poweramp is. If the poweramp author says the app supports ; then I think you need to follow up with him as to why it is making the change.

As for the PM you sent, I really can't help since I gave up on poweramp a few years ago and now use GoneMAD Music Player. I don't have any issues with it. If I have a track in MB has the genres "R&B; Soul" it appears in GoneMAD as "R&B Soul". I believe there's a two week trial for it. Perhaps it may work better for you than poweramp.
Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 04:12:03 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

NickIst

Thanks for your fast response, I raised the question again in corresponding topics on the poweramp forum.

SandaruLJ

Hi! I was doing some research all day and created an account just for this  ;) . The problem here is that MusicBee doesn't write multiple values in genre field using "; " as a separator, even though that's how it seems in the tag editor  :-\ .

Instead it writes each value in a separate genre(TCON) field. So there are multiple genre(TCON) fields with one value in each, not multiple values in a single field. So there are no "; " s in the actual tag. That's why PowerAmp cannot display those values correctly ??? .

But when I load those files in MusicBrainz Picard and save with or without doing any changes, it appends all genre fields into one separating each value by "; ". And what's great about that is MB can read those multiple values correctly  :) . And everything works fine in PowerAmp. But if I open those files in MB tag editor and save even without changing anything, things go bad  :( . So my conclusion is that MusicBee should save multi-valued genres in a single field separated by "; " instead of creating multiple fields thus saving us a lot of troubles.

PS: Excuse my English.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Good catch, I.think you're right that that's why. However, MusicBee is handling multiple values correctly. What Poweramp does is still a Poweramp issue
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

SandaruLJ

Yeah, but if Poweramp and many other players and tag editors recognize multiple values when using "; " as a separator (which is a standard), why can't MB write those values that way?  :-\  Why should it have to use multiple fields? It's the only player I know that write multiple values into separate fields. And of course MB can handle those values correctly because it's the one that writes them that way. Now the point is MB can handle multiple values well, also when they are written in a single field and separated with "; " (the standard method).

So the solution is very simple: Make MB write multiple values into a single field each separated with "; ", just like it is shown in the tag editor, just like many other players and editors do.

PS: Poweramp handles multiple values well when using the standard characters like "; ". It seems it is not optimized to detect/display multiple fields of genres correctly, since it is a very rare case (only people who use MB to tag their music will face this issue). But Poweramp complies with the standards.

PS2: This multiple fields thing is the one that causes GoneMad to show genre like this: "R&B Soul". If you retag that file with Picard or foobar2000, GoneMad will show "R&B; Soul" which makes more sense than the previous.

Thanks for the reply!
Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 05:07:01 PM by SandaruLJ

frankz

Yeah, but if Poweramp and many other players and tag editors recognize multiple values when using "; " as a separator (which is a standard), why can't MB write those values that way?
Because the reason for a separator is to separate things.  MB correctly uses the ";" to separate values entered together into separate iterations of the tag.  That's what a separator does.  That's the spec for id3v2.3+ (at least).  It's a delimiter, like when you have a delimited text file and Excel correctly break it into cells when it hits the delimiter.

The long and short of it is that MB will read them either way, but write them as separate tags.  

If you tag your files the way you like (one tag, multiple values) in another program and import those files to MB, MB will respect it and not break them up.  

If you edit tags in MB and MB sees a genre listed like this (even if you don't edit the genre in MB), it will be broken up when you save the tags.  

The solution is to tag in a program that tags the way you prefer.  MB will read them fine either way.
Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 05:53:33 PM by frankz

NickIst

Thanks for the answers, the issue was solved by updating to the last 3.2 version of MB. At least for AAC files multiple genres are displayed correctly. My thought is that the button separate/split genres could cause such behaviour, I used it very actively on the previous 3.1.6688 version. @SandaruLJ is right that the cause was in separate fields. In Aimp player, for example, I saw another thing, it saw only the first genre tag. Plus I noticed that MB (3.2) has ''genre'' and ''genres'' tags now and the button to separate/split genres was removed from the tag editor.
Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 11:53:30 AM by NickIst

Dekanuva

Just posting this for anyone else who finds this thread through a Google search. There is now a "Symbols to Split Multiple Genres" option in Poweramp under Settings > Library > Scanner. I added ";" and ":" to the list and now my genres sync perfectly with MusicBee! No need to tag in another program or put everything in one line.