Author Topic: Old tags lingering  (Read 1503 times)

Tybot

When I first started tagging my music collection, most of the performer role tags was lowercase, example:

Performer: Steven Tyler (guitar)

I've since then changed it to uppercase:

Performer: Steven Tyler (Guitar)

The issue I'm having is that when I start to type a role in "Multiple Artist Splitter", the drop down menu presents me with a mix of lowercase and uppercase roles, but there's never any duplicates, like this:

Even if I begin by typing the role in uppercase like "Gui", it still presents me with a lowercase alternative.

I've run an mp3tag action on all my files to make sure they're consistent (begins with uppercase). If I search and replace all tag fields in MB for "guitar" and select "match case", no results show up. How come it's still in the drop down menu if there isn't any tag like that in my files?

Edit: When I say "uppercase" I mean that the first letter of the word is uppercase, not the whole word, just to clarify.

redwing

Probably they are coming from Configurations.xml file in the MB folder.

Tybot

Saves the day once again, thanks! Any clue on the "guest artist", this one is actually a dupe which I suspect might be a leftover from an earlier bug that since been fixed. (https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=24782.msg142919#msg142919)

I've checked my files to make sure there are no "guest artist" left in the "performer" tag, they all have their dedicated field. I've also checked all the .ini- and .xml-files I could find pertaining to MB but I've been unsuccessful in locating the mentioning of the words "guest artist" anywhere.

frankz

Artist, Guest Artist, Remixer and Performer are the defaults (in the drop-down if you don't type anything). 

Tybot

Yes, but as you can see from my screenshot, there a two entries, one lowercase "guest artist" and one that begins with uppercase "Guest Artist". I'm wondering where from MB fetches the lowercase entry. I've scanned all my files and there's no such entry anywhere in my tags.

redwing

I've checked my files to make sure there are no "guest artist" left in the "performer" tag

Then check "artists:guest" tag.

frankz

The lower-case "guest artist" isn't there for me, so it's not coming from the install.  Does it pull from IPLS (Involved People) or just Artists? 

Tybot

The lower-case "guest artist" isn't there for me, so it's not coming from the install.  Does it pull from IPLS (Involved People) or just Artists? 

Pre v3.2 I put guest artists in the performer tag, like:

PERFORMER: Steven Tyler (guest artist)

I've since changed it to it's dedicated tag, like:

GUEST ARTIST: Steven Tyler

So I'm guessing it's a remnant from that period. But I feel it shouldn't suggest it still as I've changed all those performer/role tags which means there nowhere to pull that information from.

frankz

Pre v3.2 I put guest artists in the performer tag, like:

PERFORMER: Steven Tyler (guest artist)

I've since changed it to it's dedicated tag, like:

GUEST ARTIST: Steven Tyler

So I'm guessing it's a remnant from that period. But I feel it shouldn't suggest it still as I've changed all those performer/role tags which means there nowhere to pull that information from.
Apparently there is somewhere left to pull it from, because you have it and I don't and we're both on 3.2.  It's not in Configuration.xml.  I'm not an expert by any means, but apparently there's some source you have that I don't, and that source seems like it can only be your file tags.

It's a stumper.
Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 04:48:49 AM by frankz

phred

• Global Moderator
I think you need to perform a complete search for "guest artist" because MB doesn't make up tags. My experience with incorrect info in the dropdown is that it exists somewhere in your data for the particular tag you're editing. Once you find it and remove it, it will disappear from the dropdown.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Tybot

I've re-scanned all my files and done a complete search (entire library, all fields) for 'guest artist' without any results.

As I've mentioned, there was a bug in earlier version that caused 'guest artist' to end up in the "performer" tag IF it the value was entered manually (typed in) and not via the drop down menu in MAS. (https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=24782.msg142919#msg142919)

The reason I keep mentioning it is that I'm thinking that because the value in question is only there as a direct cause of a bug, that might explain the unexpected behavior of it showing up in that list even though there's nothing like that in my tags.

Here's a screen of a search in a text file that contains all my tag data, not the fields themselves but all their values:

https://i.imgur.com/ROiAWen.jpg

redwing

Two commands you could try:
- Tools> Advanced> Compress library (v3.2)
- Tools> Advanced> Rescan All files

Make sure to restart MB after running those.

Tybot

Unfortunately, that didn't solve the issue.

To be honest, it's not really an issue at all, just annoying. If I start to type a lowercase "g" it autocompletes to "Guest Artist" so it shouldn't pose any problems in the future. I do hate loose ends and I can't for the life of me figure out where the tag comes from.