Author Topic: automatic updates  (Read 6494 times)

cooljazz

So many things in MB are already done without the need of manual intervention. Are there any plans to make updates of MB automatic as well?

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!

Edit > Preferences (Ctrl+O)
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

Blinghound

Steven

• Administrator
that setting only applies to public releases
for the weekly, there now is notification on twitter: http://twitter.com/MusicBeePlayer

i think cooljazz means that the whole process should be automatic, but thats a lot of effort and surprisingly difficult to get right with all the things that can go wrong (i already tried once before with the xulrunner updates)

thegreyspot

Just a suggestion, but it might be nice to include the Twitter feed in the actual MusicBee program. I wouldn't know where to put it though! Maybe in the splash at start up?

phred

• Global Moderator
Definitely not the splash screen.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who has the splash disabled.  And while I follow the forums closely enough to know when a new "weekly" update is available, others may not.  And if they have the splash disabled, they won't know.  Just my two cents.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator
anyone not using twitter can subscribe to the weekly updates topic and you will get an email whenever i post a new entry to that topic

cooljazz

In general the update process already is pretty easy.
1. Download the zip file
2. Extract it to the location MB is installed in.

To make everything automatic I thought of something like this.

When someone clicks a update button in MB, a little script is called which ends MB and downloads the latest update.zip from the MusicBee Webspace into the MB program folder. It then passes on a little command to the commandline version of 7zip to extract the update.zip. The only downside about this is, that MusicBee must be started with administrative rights to do this.

Is something like this possible?
Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 01:41:57 PM by cooljazz

VX

i think cooljazz means that the whole process should be automatic, but thats a lot of effort and surprisingly difficult to get right with all the things that can go wrong (i already tried once before with the xulrunner updates)

After ditching Firefox MusicBee installer will get smaller and much easier to maintain.

Then taking into consideration the progress you've made with MusicBee_2_1_4915 update that automatically finds the MB installation folder and extracts all updated files with just one click (THANKS FOR THE GREAT IMPROVEMENT !!!), I think we are very close to see an automatic update feature for MusicBee 2.2. Am I right  ???

If so, I'd love to see options for:
- download beta updates
- and latest patches as well.

By default MB should notify and suggest an update to stable releases only, but users could change this in the preferences for the other two options (that's how it works in MultiCommander).

Implementing the feature would greatly improve usability for newbies and prevent for reporting bugs that exist in older releases only.

9cupsoftea

+1

But this has been asked many times and I imagine if it hasn't been done it's pretty tough. Though I would like the option to check for beta releases as well as public.

pinn73

Bumping an old thread but one which is really valid. Clearly, it's a simple process to check website and download if a newer version is available but months go by without me, and possibly others, remembering to check. Anything that can be done to streamline the process would be appreciated.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It's not a perfect solution, but what about adding a link to the Latest Updates forum next to the "check for updates" option? And/or in the Help menu. That's where I would look for it in most programs.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)