Author Topic: managing duplicates  (Read 5203 times)

dbeeler

hello all,
i just downloaded MB (after using itunes for years; want to switch) and loaded my music library. so i am just getting started with set up. one thing i noticed is that i have quite a few duplicates caused by MB loading music found in Amazon Music in addition to my library. that is the difference i see in the duplicate files (the addition of "Amazon Music" in the location). of course, this is where i purchased the music and a file is kept on my computer.
of the options for managing duplicates, what do you suggest i do? or would it be better to start over?
thank you in advance for your help and support.
dave

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

I would just remove the files in the Amazon Music location (only from your library, of course!) and make sure that you're not scanning that folder when you add new files.

If you need to easily find all the Amazon files, you can display the Path field in the main panel and sort by it, or you can use the Computer browser in the left sidebar to find files in that folder.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

captain_paranoia

The advantage of a proper media manager, and a media library, is that it can present a single view (library) into music stored in many locations.

I deliberately keep all my media in directories that reflect where they came from; CDs I have purchased, music I have downloaded (from each source). My music management tools (MediaMonkey, MusicBee & Twonky) are quite happy at pulling all those sources into a single library. Therefore, I have no copies of music in my 'download' locations and my 'library location'; there is no 'library location', just a database that has pointers to all my music source locations.

It sounds like iTunes has pulled copies of your music into a single 'library location', and you still have the originals in their downloaded locations.

Now you have switched from iTunes to MusicBee, you need to choose how you will operate in future; keep all your music in a single library location, and re-direct Amazon (or other) downloads to that location, or keep your source locations separate, and split your library into those separate locations, removing any duplicates that iTunes has created.

dbeeler

thank you both for responding. that helped. i moved the amazon music folder to another location. then uninstalled MB and installed again and reloaded my library. all good! thanks much for your help
dave

Tybot

Is there any way for MB to display duplicates in the same fashion it displays files with missing/inconsistent tags? I'm trying to find an easy way to make sure all my duplicates have the same tags and "Tools->Manage duplicates" doesn't allow for tag editing.

redwing

Is there any way for MB to display duplicates in the same fashion it displays files with missing/inconsistent tags? I'm trying to find an easy way to make sure all my duplicates have the same tags and "Tools->Manage duplicates" doesn't allow for tag editing.

Use "save to playlist" option and manage them in the playlist.

Tybot

Use "save to playlist" option and manage them in the playlist.

Great, thanks!