Author Topic: Assign a custom field in MusicBee  (Read 2888 times)

HonHarv96

I have created a custom field/tag called Album Composer in mp3tag and have been long-used it mostly for classical but also for other genres of music such as jazz etc. when appropriate. The tag's value & field are set to %albumcomposer%. How would I assign it in order to make use of it in MusicBee? I suppose it also applies to other similar custom fields I use with mp3tag. (I can see the tag and its value in foobar btw.)
Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 03:36:17 AM by HonHarv96

HonHarv96

Thanks redwing, that did the trick! Now, what if I wish to order Album Composers by another custom field called AlbumComposersSort?

redwing

I don't think you can achieve the same functionality like the officially supported sort tags.
I'd use the custom sort tag only for sorting purpose.

HonHarv96

That's right. I only want AlbumComposersSort custom field to sort AlbumComposers. How would I do it? Say there is a "Ludwig van Beethoven" entry in AlbumComposers. Its corresponding AlbumComposersSort entry is "Beethoven, Ludwig van". I'd like "Ludwig van Beethoven" to be sorted as "Beethoven, Ludwig van". Please let me know your opinion of this field  ("AlbumComposers") regarding classical music as well as other music forms were Composer is of special gravity and as a rule, he/she differs from Performer/s. Also mind that there exists a great number of albums, mainly of classical music, where there is a main Composer for most of the works in the album but then a small (even just one) number of works/pieces are by another Composer.

redwing

Personally I treat classical music differently from other genres in that I don't care much about the notion of "Album" in classical music.
In popular music album is important because that's the main work created by the particular artist. But who decides album in classical music? Mostly labels and sometime performers. It's not that important to me.
So I even tag different album artists for classical music compilations and I don't care the same album getting split when grouped by album artist. And you're talking about album composer? To me, it's just waste of time.

HonHarv96

Thanks for your response redwing. I also treat classical music differently than other music. Still, the concept of an "album" is important especially if it's not a compilation of performances. In my physical music library I sort my CDs/LPs by composers when the album's works are mainly by a single composer (e.g. an album of Beethoven's String Quartets or another of Bach's organ works) or by performers when there is a single main performer (e.g. a soloist, an ensemble, a conductor, e.t.c.) and works by different composers. So I find the "AlbumComposer" tag quite helpful. Nevertheless, this is my view...

But returning to the original question: how could I sort one custom field by another custom field? In this case, it is how to sort "AlbumComposers" field by its corresponding "AlbumComposersSort" field.

redwing

As I said, it's not possible currently.
But since this kind of question comes up pretty often, I will create a wishlist item as I think such a feature would be useful in other cases as well.

It's done: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=25132.0
Hope you add your support to the wish.
Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 03:53:50 AM by redwing

HonHarv96

I already added my support. It's essential! Thanks for all redwing.