Author Topic: Playlist not working  (Read 2320 times)

adamff

Hello! I am experiencing a problem. I added all my music then imported a playlist, but when I go to play any of the music from the playlist I get "Source file for track not found". It works when I manually add a song and play.

Any ideas what I can do? I don't want to have to create a new playlist by hand again.

Thanks!

frankz

Did you move ("Organize") your files away from where they were at the time when you created your playlist upon "adding all your music"?

Are the file references in the playlist you imported absolute (i.e. a full path like C:\Music\Filename.mp3) or are they simply subfolder or file references relative to the path expected by the program in which you created the playlist?

You'll need to be more specific about what you did and about your playlist if there's any chance of us figuring out what's going wrong.
Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 03:10:42 PM by frankz

adamff

Ok, I didnt know what other information i needed to provide, sorry. Yes, this is a new computer so the files are in a different place now. I think I created the playlist in musicbee. How do I find out if they are absolute? I think they are from when I rescanned the music files in.

frankz

The long and short of it is that the playlist is, for whatever reason, pointing to files that no longer exist in the place it expects them to be.  

You said in your original post that you imported your playlist. What format was the playlist in on your drive before you imported it? If it was in a text-editable type file (m3u for example), you can open the original playlist in a text editor and look at it.  

If the file names are like "File1.mp3" "Another Song.mp3", etc with no other information, that is a playlist that was created with relative paths (the program creating it expects the program playing it - usually itself - to already know where the files are).  

If the file names are like "D:\Music\File1.mp3" C:\AlbumName\Another Song.mp3" etc, those are absolute paths.  Those are the only kinds of playlists that can reliably be moved from one program into another on the same computer.  No matter what the defaults are for the particular program, it will know exactly where to find each file.

If they're relative, you have a problem I don't know how to fix besides recreating the playlist from scratch.  

If they're absolute and you haven't rearranged / renamed the files in any way, you can search/replace the wrong path to the right path in your text editor in the source playlist.  Search C:\OldComputerMusic and replace with C:\NewComputerMusic or whatever the old and new folder structures are.., save the playlist, and re-import the corrected version to MusicBee.

If you've already moved your files around from the way they were arranged on the old computer or renamed them, you're probably screwed.

Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 11:02:05 PM by frankz

adamff