Author Topic: Auto-delete Playlists on Sync  (Read 3654 times)

AndySocial

I'm loving MusicBee so far, moving over from many years of MediaMonkey. I particularly appreciate the Podcast and Last.FM support - very nice.

While synchronizing music to my Sansa Clip Zip (MTP mode), I have it set to delete music not in the list, which it does perfectly (including Podcasts, which the primate product had trouble with). But, it doesn't remove playlists from the device if they were pushed there once and are now no longer on the sync list.

For example, I had a playlist, CA that I pushed to the Clip via a sync. Later, I decided I didn't want to keep CA on my Clip, so I removed it from the Sync List. After a sync, it deleted all the MP3 files that belonged to the playlist, but the PLA file itself remained on the device.

Am I missing a setting that I need to toggle?
Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 12:59:47 AM by AndySocial

phred

• Global Moderator
It should be deleting the playlist file without any further settings. If the Clip can accept a different format, I'd try M3U8 or M3U instead of PLA and see if that works as expected.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

AndySocial

Trying a number of combinations, all to the internal storage:

PLA (no option to use relative paths): playlists transferred fine, worked fine on device, not deleted from device when removed from sync list

M3U (relative paths NOT checked): playlists transferred, device sees them as playlists but they are empty. Not removed from device when removed from sync list.

M3U (relative paths): playlists transferred, device sees them as playlists and they are populated. Not removed from device when removed from sync list.

WPL (either): playlists transferred, device does not see them as playlists.

M3U8 (either): playlists transferred, device does not recognize them as playlists.

----

So, it looks like the Sansa Clip Zip does understand M3U playlists, with relative paths anyway. But, no combination of settings makes the playlists disappear when they are removed from the sync list. Songs from the playlists are deleted, but not the playlist file itself.

AndySocial

More testing, this time on a Chenfec C50 (clip clone). It uses standard USB mass storage mode only, and is assigned a drive letter by Windows.

Playlist support for the Chenfec is M3U only, and MusicBee shows the same behavior as with the MTP-mode Sansa Clip Zip previously tested.

Specifically, playlists will copy over, but won't be deleted when removed from the sync list. The music files themselves will be deleted when removed from the sync list, but the playlist files remain on the player.

Both players put the playlists in a directory /Playlists, and Music in /Music/whatever/whatever/stuff.mp3 etc.

I really want to use MusicBee, as its Podcast handling is superior to other products available, but needing to manually delete unused and unusable playlists is a bit of a strange quirk.

AndySocial

Oh, and if it matters, I'm using the Windows Store app, not a normally downloaded and installed version.

AndySocial

So, no insights? I have done all I can to test it on multiple devices with multiple options - playlists do not delete from the destination portable device.

I begin to think nobody uses portable music players that aren't phones. :-)

phred

• Global Moderator
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

AndySocial

That's not the issue. As stated in my original post, the songs are deleted, but the m3u or pla file remains.

It deletes songs, it just doesn't delete playlists.
Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 08:57:58 PM by AndySocial

vanhoivanbinh

So, no insights? I have done all I can to test it on multiple devices with multiple options - playlists do not delete from the destination portable device.

I begin to think nobody uses portable music players that aren't phones. :-)
I met the same problem
I syn the Musicbee playlists with my phone Asus Zenfone 3
the un-synced playlists are all there even I have unticked it in the sync list
It shows up as empty playlist on my music player app
So annoying