Author Topic: Track Numbers Out of Order  (Read 10486 times)

guitarwiz1

I just started using Musicbee yesterday and so far I'm impressed.

I have all my albums set up the in the order I prefer, but the one thing that's killing me is... Some of them the track numbers are out of order.

For example: AC/DC Back in Black - 1,3,4,5,6,8,2,7.etc. etc.

For the life of me I can't seem to find anyway to keep the tracks sorted in numerical order. Most of my music is ripped from CD's I own, so I don't understand how some of the tags could get messed up.

Normally I just play my music in random shuffle order, so it really isn't that big a deal. I do however occasionally like to have a few beers, put the headphones on and listen to some Pink Floyd in it's entirety. That's when it is a problem. ;)

Any help or tips to get me sorted out would be appreciated. 

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
It's probably a simple thing to correct. Are you playing from a playlist? Please take us through how you're doing things, or maybe share some screenshots.
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

frankz

When I've had this happen, it's been because some of my tracks had a disc number in the tags and some didn't. When you sort by "Album," regardless of whether or not you display disc-track#, it sorts by disc-track#.

My guess in your example above would be that 1,3,4,5,6,8 have no disc number listed and 2,7 do.

It's an excellent opportunity to find faulty tags and clean them up.

guitarwiz1

I really didn't do anything than download the software and point it to my music library, and pressed play.
I did change the appearance slightly and explored some of the options.

I also noticed on some of the CD's that there is a blank space separating some of the tracks on the same CD.

Not exactly sure how to post the screenshots, but I hope this helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/03c26zclzo7hi2a/sort%20issue.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m7ika03xphj0xmw/sort%20issue2.jpg?dl=0

frankz

Yes, as I said in my initial reply, check your tags.

It's quite clear from the screenshot that 1,3,4,5,6,8 are tagged differently in the Disc field than 2,7,9,10 are.  The blank space is MB separating what it thinks are two different discs on the same album.  It's doing this because you tagged them that way.

If you either add Disc 1 to the tracks that don't have a disc number or remove the disc number from the tracks that do have a disc number, it will display correctly.  If you display the Disc-Track# field rather than Track#, you will see this in your listing.

As I said, MB is excellent at finding examples of your faulty tagging.  That's part of what makes it a great library manager.

guitarwiz1

Yes, as I said in my initial reply, check your tags.

It's quite clear from the screenshot that 1,3,4,5,6,8 are tagged differently in the Disc field than 2,7,9,10 are.  The blank space is MB separating what it thinks are two different discs on the same album.  It's doing this because you tagged them that way.

If you either add Disc 1 to the tracks that don't have a disc number or remove the disc number from the tracks that do have a disc number, it will display correctly.  If you display the Disc-Track# field rather than Track#, you will see this in your listing.

As I said, MB is excellent at finding examples of your faulty tagging.  That's part of what makes it a great library manager.

O.K...Thanks!
I'm slowly starting to get it straightened out. 

frankz

My library was a mess coming into MB because my previous manager wasn't revealing my mistakes and inconsistencies. It was built for ease, not for function. 

MB is powerful and functional, and your library will be much better and more usable for the work you initially put in to make things right.

guitarwiz1

It just seems strange that the only music that was affected was my ripped CD's.

Anyway...I got it straightened out up to Metallica so far...Still got a ways to go before ZZ Top  :)

Thanks!