Author Topic: Support functions for auto-playlists & filters  (Read 1655 times)

redwing

I have requested this before, but can't find the thread.
Would be great if auto-playlists and filters support writing functions just as it supports writing regex. The difference is regex can't support fields. Say you want to create an auto-playlist that shows files having the same value for specific two tags. Currently you have to create a virtual tag first and then use that tag in an auto-playlist. Why not allow to define it directly in auto-playlists and filters?
This would also have the benefit to free up virtual tags from the limited 16 slots as the user could create an unlimited number of auto-playlists and filters.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
+1
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
i am not sure i understand this request. Could you give an example how you might enter such an expression

redwing

Basically the same as how "match Regex" works except "Any field" should be used.

Any field / match function / <Composer>
would show tracks that have a composer field value.

Any field / match function / <Title>=<Sort Title>
would show tracks that have the same value for the two fields.

Any field / match function / $Len(<URL)>200
would show tracks have the URL length longer than 200 ($Len is supported only with Additional Tagging Tools plugin installed).

Also support "does not match function" to negate the whole function easily.
Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 07:18:17 PM by redwing

Steven

• Administrator
i think this approach should do most of what you are asking for, but can you confirm i am right and that it will be useful?

field/ match template/ template eg. Artist/ match template/ $First(<Artist>)
field/ not-match template/ template

redwing

I think using "Any field" would be more useful and less confusing especially
- When multiple fields are listed in the template
- When fields are listed that are not available from auto-playlist drop-down menu

So when "(not) match template" is selected, "Any field" should be forced.

Steven

• Administrator
I am sorry redwing but i am not prepared to do this the way you have asked because its quite substantial as requested.
If you dont think the compromise i am proposing is going to work well, i will leave this request not implemented

redwing

I'm not sure why you think this request is so substantial as auto-DJ already works that way when a virtual tag is selected.
Whatever template is entered, just add tracks to the playlist that has a value for the template. Why is it so difficult?

Steven

• Administrator
I think i get what you are asking for now however i think the proposed implementation may be too obscure.
Also as far as I can tell there isnt really a need for a "not" template. The template can include a $If with and = or !=
I will sit on this for a while

redwing

Bump.
This could free up unlimited number of virtual tags from the limited 16 slots.