Author Topic: MB 3.2 (latest version) starts but GUI is not visible.  (Read 2449 times)

Adson

Since yesterday my MB (Portable) installation shows  a strange behvavior.

Everytime I start MB nothing (visible) happens. A look into the task manager shows that MB is running, but obviously the program window does not open.

This happens on Win 10 with the latest MB 3.2 version with the latest update from the 5th of april. The very same version has run perfectly after the update. So I don't think it has something to do with the lates update.

I have already restarted my machine and I have "killed" the MB tasks in the TM several times manually. Unfortunately without a positive effect.

Any idea what to reset or which file to delete, to make MB running again?

Thanks in advance for your help  :)

Steven

• Administrator
try temporarily disabling your security software or whitelist musicbee

frankz

It'd be interesting to know which security software you're using, too, and whether or not you've applied Windows' newly pre-released "Spring Creators Update." 

This seems to be cropping up again more frequently lately, and I notice that tech sites started telling people how to get the Spring update early on...April 5.

Adson

Thanks for your replies.

It's Kaspersky Internet Security and no, I have not installed the spring update yet.

Ich will check to whitelist MB later or this evening and let you know if this was the problem.

sveakul

When you whitelist it, be sure you cover ALL the areas that Kaspersky may have a protection module "exclude" for.  The easiest way to check if it's the security software is first just turn the whole bloomin' thing off;  then, if MB starts normally, you know what the culprit has to be.

frankz

When you whitelist it, be sure you cover ALL the areas that Kaspersky may have a protection module "exclude" for.  The easiest way to check if it's the security software is first just turn the whole bloomin' thing off;  then, if MB starts normally, you know what the culprit has to be.
...unless it already took a file from MB that it thinks is bad and moved it to the Virus Vault, which Avast has been known to do.

Adson

It seems that Kaspersky is not the problem in this case.

I have whitelisted MB and even closed Kaspersky completely.
I then have reinstalled the last complete MB package but unfortunately the behaviour stays the same.

I found out, that after starting MB there is an instance of MB running as a background process in the task manager but not the main MB-program.

When I "kill" that process manually and try to reinstall MB I get an error message that says "Error opening file for writing ... Musicbee.exe".
When looking into the taskmanager there isn't any MB process running.

I have then to restart my computer to run the installation. But even after that MB does not start - or at least the program window is not visible.

redwing

The error often occurs when your account has no admin rights for installing an app.
Try installing a portable version in a non-special folder after uninstalling the standard MB.

Steven

• Administrator
would you mind sending me a link to your settings file:
C:\Users\<your id>\AppData\Roaming\MusicBee\MusicBee3Settings.ini

Adson

Steven, I have sent you a link to the file via pm.

My acccount on this machine has all possible admin-rights. I could install and use MB without any problem until 3 days ago.
So I think the admin-rights do not cause the problem.

Steven

• Administrator
no problems using your settings.
My only suggestion is to try temporarily renaming the plugins folder to something else so the plugins cant load to see if its any of them that are causing this

Adson

I had already emptied the plugin- and the skins-folders, without success.

Are there any temp files or so that were possibly not correctly closed or deleted after the last time I used MB?

The next thing I will try is to restore a backup that I made some days before.

Adson

... everything runs fine after the restore.

Since I have restored only the MB folder it must have been something in there.

Thanks a lot for your time and your support.   :)