Author Topic: Merge play counts and play history to an existing MusicBee library?  (Read 2124 times)

BRAINS

Is this possible? I still have my old MusicBee settings saved from my computer that died. If possible I would like to merge play counts and play history over. I have over 3 years of tracked information since I switched over from foobar2000.

boroda

BRAINS

i dont think that its possible. why not just to use your old library?
I most likely will if that not possible. I also wanted to merge track ratings. My computer died over a year ago so I new library with a bunch new music with play counts, history, and ratings. I can manually add the ratings, but a lot of my music are single FLAC files and you cannot edit play counts for them.

BRAINS

Bumping this cause I am not sure what to do in this situation.

I reformatted my computer. I have an SSD as boot drive and my music is on a regular hard drive. I have the MusicBee roaming folder from my most recent system. I have the library folders from my OLD computer that died and my most recent system before format.

Really all I want is the play counts, play history and track ratings if possible.

I wonder if I should use a portable installation from now on since everything would be self-contained in the MusicBee folder?

frankz

Provided all of your music is arranged in the same folder structure as it was before you reformatted, you should just be able to open your old library file (.mbl) and use it with relatively little fuss.  You may need to do a remap if you changed drive letters, but everything you need should be in your library file (even better if you still have the full folder that contained it on the old system).

BRAINS

Hmm I can had it working but not anymore. I downloaded the portable version, copied the Appdata files over into their respective folder and the library settings to the main folder. I opened MusicBee and at first it worked. All my music was there in the library and inbox with all stars, plays, and settings saved. I closed MusicBee and opened it again and none of the music could be located. The stuff in the inbox still played fine.

Any ideas?

frankz

...and the library settings to the main folder...
I'm not sure what "the main folder" means.

Do you mean you copied your old library folder into your \Program Files (x86)\MusicBee folder? If so, that's not the right place for it.  That's a Windows-protected folder and you're going to have trouble writing library data to it.

Your library folder should be outside the Program Files area.

BRAINS

...and the library settings to the main folder...
I'm not sure what "the main folder" means.

Do you mean you copied your old library folder into your \Program Files (x86)\MusicBee folder? If so, that's not the right place for it.  That's a Windows-protected folder and you're going to have trouble writing library data to it.

Your library folder should be outside the Program Files area.
This my new setup.

MusicBee portable on desktop - C:\Users\BRAINS\Desktop\MusicBee

Music location on other hard drive - D:\From Music

On my old computer it was setup as C:\Users\BRAINS\Music - all the music was in this folder. Also the MusicBee library folder was inside here.

I tried remap folders and rescan but it's not working. For example it thinks the album "The Campfire Headphase" is in C:\Users\BRAINS\Desktop\2005 - The Campfire Headphase\Boards of Canada.flac. It is actually in D:\From Music\2005 - The Campfire Headphase\Boards of Canada.flac.

BRAINS

Yeha something is weird is going on. I copy the MusicBeeLibrarySettings configuration file I had backed up to D:\From Music\MusicBee. I opened MusicBee portable which is on my desktop SSD and all the songs are there, play fine, see the cover art. Then when I close and reopen MusicBee it cant find the songs anymore?

redwing

I downloaded the portable version, copied the Appdata files over into their respective folder

Are you saying you copied all settings files from a standard installation to a portable installation?
I never tried it, but if something doesn't work right, that might be the reason.
Check if it uses the right settings files you copied or something else.

BRAINS

I got it working by trial and error using the remap music folders function. I don't remember exactly what the paths were, you can't seem to check after doing it and I was frustrated. I think this was how I did it...

map music file from: C:\Users\BRAINS\Desktop\MusicBee to: D:\From Music\

I have even a bigger problem now. A few of my albums got corrupted and are unplayable since changing hard drives. I don't see how this is possible since the new and old disks are fine. Even ran chkdsk on them. The albums are 0 bytes in size and don't open with anything.  :(