Author Topic: Skinning Guide - Part 2 - The Elements: Image Elements  (Read 56591 times)

Thorbjorn

You can get the images from any skin. Just copy the code and paste it into a Base64 Decoder (http://www.peterdamen.com/base64decode.php). Change the extension after downloading the .bin file.

redwing

The border image sizes should be as follows.

FormBorderTop ------------------------------------------------- 1x28 [pixels]
FormBorderTopRight , FormBorderTopLeft ------------------ 5x28
FormBorderRight , FormBorderLeft  -------------------------- 4x1
FormBorderBottomRight , FormBorderBottomLeft ---------- 4x4
FormBorderBottom  -------------------------------------------- 1x4

murve33

All of the mediafire links are dead.

Edit: To make my post less stupid, here's a link to a bunch of last.fm icons Steven posted somewhere.
http://www.mediafire.com/?2n78d10tbnaszy5
Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:45:19 PM by murve33

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
All of the mediafire links are dead.

as Thorbjorn said

You can get the images from any skin. Just copy the code and paste it into a Base64 Decoder (http://www.peterdamen.com/base64decode.php)

I fairly sure none of the skin creators will mind you using them.
If using the online decoder, change the output to image/png
I prefer to use this online image encoder (http://www.base64-image.de/) as it has an image viewer.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

redwing

@Bee-liever:

What's the size for FormBorderTop?
I thought it has to be 1x28, but I found your Polar Bear skin was using 576x28. What's going on?

Bee-liever

@ redwing

what!   give all my secrets away!!! ;D
Technically it is 1x28, but I experimented and found that the border top is not stretched, like the BorderLeft/BorderRight elements, but is repeated, in blocks, across the screen.
So, after trial and error and info from TheaterMode that MB scaling is based on 1152x864, I made images that are tileable horizontally. Usually 384x28, but the polar bear fur needed more definition, so it's 576x28.
And that's how I do the "picture" borders.

redwing

@ redwing

what!   give all my secrets away!!! ;D
Technically it is 1x28, but I experimented and found that the border top is not stretched, like the BorderLeft/BorderRight elements, but is repeated, in blocks, across the screen.
So, after trial and error and info from TheaterMode that MB scaling is based on 1152x864, I made images that are tileable horizontally. Usually 384x28, but the polar bear fur needed more definition, so it's 576x28.
And that's how I do the "picture" borders.

How insensitive of me! Sorry for divulging your hard-earned secrets! I'm afraid that it's now public knowledge.

So did you find some kind of formula or the two were all that works? (now interrogating mode ;D)

Bee-liever

So did you find some kind of formula or the two were all that works? (now interrogating mode ;D)

As long as the length of the border top divides evenly into 1152, you get the least noticeable distortion around the Windows buttons.
The windows buttons use the LH 88px of the border top as a background

redwing

As long as the length of the border top divides evenly into 1152, you get the least noticeable distortion around the Windows buttons.
The windows buttons use the LH 88px of the border top as a background

I think this must be one of the most significant discoveries in the history of MB, having a potential to change its look fundamentally.
Do you mind anyone else's doing "picture" borders with the "Bee-liever's formula"?

Bee-liever

Do you mind anyone else's doing "picture" borders with the "Bee-liever's formula"?

Don't mind at all. I like seeing what other ideas people come up with.

redwing

Don't mind at all. I like seeing what other ideas people come up with.

Great! I'm wondering, too, what kind of possibilities are out there with this "new" feature. Thanks again for sharing this wonderful tip!