Author Topic: MusicBee icons  (Read 55788 times)

ferongr

I've revised the style a bit and finished all required sizes (256 48 32 16 pixels) for MP3 and FLAC filetype-specific icons.

FLAC

MP3

Some feedback would be welcome before proceeding further. I plan on also creating icons for WMA, OGG, AAC, MP4, WAV, APE and TAK, as well as icons for playlists and cuesheets (those will use a visually distinct icon that denotes their purpose, from one of V4lve's original designs).

I also have the Windows icon files compiled for these. Each one contains all sizes in 3 bitdepth variations (24bit+8bit alpha, 8bit including 1bit alpha and 4 bit with one bit alpha). Used IcoFX for those who's dithering algorithm is very good (and accounts for the alpha channel in the pallete of the lower bit-depth versions).

Not quite happy with the 16x16 versions though, might have to hunt for a different font.
Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 07:13:13 PM by ferongr

VX

Well done, ferongr  :) I like your project. Music Bee deserves such professional looking icons. I hope You'll create a icon for all the files Music Bee can be associated with.

ferongr

Hardly proffesional. Digital typography is not my forte, so I will have to experiment with fonts for 32 and 16 pixel versions to avoid aliasing.

petpunk

Antonski

I plan on also creating icons for WMA, OGG, AAC, MP4, WAV, APE and TAK, as well as icons for playlists and cuesheets

May I ask you for adding MPC icons as well?
Thanks in advance.

ferongr

I've finished all the sizes for the following formats and supporting files. What remains is to compile them to .ico files (boring task).

Also, I've arrived at a satisfactory design for 16x16 icons, using a proper bitmap font. Samples follow. Make sure your browser is at 100% zoom, otherwise they will be resized and look bad.

Personally, I'm decently satisfied with how they turned out. I also think I've covered all formats that most users actually use. Not many are uncovered though, and It's a trivial thing to do them.

Steven

• Administrator
they look great and some nice touches there. For compiling an ICO file the IcoFx application has a way to import png files into an ico file

ferongr

I'm aware of that, I've already used IcoFX to compile icon files in the past. Depending on my motivation, I will be able to finish compiling them in anything between 2 days and one week.
Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 07:57:25 AM by ferongr

VX

Admirable icon set, ferongr  :) Thanks  :)

I have a small request: could you create a icon for *.MBS files  ??? This is the MusicBee specific settings file used for instance for saving layouts. If it's possible to restore saved layout settings to a different computer ( ???) it would be great if the file extension had its own icon too.
We could share the settings files on the forum.

The MBS file extension should be associated with MusicBee by default so that when clicked in Windows Explorer the settings are applied to the program. Windows Explorer doesn't recognize it.

What do you think  ???

ferongr

I doubt this functionality is easy to implement in such a fashion. Internal presets that can be exported to xml files with a different extension is a more valid approach, but it requires a whole lot of code and debugging.

Right now, I'm only making icons for existing filetype associations.

In other news, today I'll create monkeys audio and m4a icons.

ferongr

I'm not dead, I'm just running between job interviews with grumpy interviewers, know-it-all "team leaders" and managers that can only manage a herd of goats! Having my faith in the IT world demolished, and with post-IMF involvement Greece on a steady path to 20% unemployment, I'm seriously contemplating returning to truck driving. At least nobody busts my balls there for a shitty salary.

Anyway, rant over. since I had some time today, I decided to do a teaser.

First, delicious XBOX-HUGE icons you can see from the other side of the room.

A more sanely-sized large view.

Small icons or "Tile View" on XP

And detail view, that I personally use most of the time for anything other than images.

Coming to a Musicbee installation near you.

Soon™.

Steven

• Administrator
thank you very much ferongr - they look fantastic
i've uploaded the .zip to:

http://getmusicbee.com/images/icons/iconfiles.zip

ferongr

Application icon created. Includes multiple image sizes for users of 3rd-party docks etc. Also removes some fringing the original icon had.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24736015/musicbee.ico

VX

Thank you very much, ferongr  :)

I hope Your awesome icons will be included with the next MB weekly update  :)