Author Topic: Jukebox view  (Read 51979 times)

Steven

• Administrator
- When clicking on the play button, the entire album from which the track belongs, is placed in queue.
if you click the play button on the card, all tracks displayed in the main panel following the clicked track should be queued (not sure what would happen if you clicked the incorrectly displayed floating play button). Open to suggestions what the best behavior should be but i would think just playing that one track would not be what most people want.
- When hovering over the play button, another play button appears - similar to what appears in Album View. The same thing happens with the pause button.
thats fixed
- When switching from Jukebox View to Album View areas in the view that are blank (there is no album) are black. This does not happen with 3.4.7422.
thats fixed

http://www.mediafire.com/file/rkx9mn38mybdpaa/MusicBee.zip/file

falso63

Open to suggestions what the best behavior should be but i would think just playing that one track would not be what most people want.

i never seen jukebox that play all songs from album.
it play one song that is selected.
if you press button for another song that cued to be played next.
and is repeated for next selection until list is full
(or money run out)
if you play album you might as well select album view and not bother with jukebox.
is my opinion .

Steven

• Administrator
It doesnt play the album. It plays the track you click and queues all the following tracks

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Open to suggestions what the best behavior should be but i would think just playing that one track would not be what most people want.

[i never seen jukebox that play all songs from album]
it play one song that is selected.
(or money run out)

Yes  :)
From memory, this is the 'normal' way that a conventional Jukebox would load a queue with individually selected songs, and get played in that order..
Not saying it has to have the identical functionality within a media player though...
Freddy

falso63

Yes  :)
From memory, this is the 'normal' way that a conventional Jukebox would load a queue with individually selected songs, and get played in that order..

si! is my memory of jukebox also.
plays singles.
somewhere here i see it called singles player.
is what it is.

phred

• Global Moderator
somewhere here i see it called singles player.
is what it is.
I agree. BUT as Steven said, there is already a view called TRACKS. Calling this view SINGLES would only lead to confusion since they both pretty much mean the same thing. So it is called JUKEBOX because that's what the view looks like and it avoids confusion.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

phred

• Global Moderator
(or money run out)
This is also how I would envision it working - only add to the queue that songs that are selected. But for someone who has more than 30-40 songs in the view, it wouldn't work well at all. I can't see someone clicking all the songs one wants to listen to.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

phred

• Global Moderator
thats fixed
When music is playing, clicking on the pause button doesn't pause the playback. Shift-click on the pause bottom doesn't stop the playback.

Thanks.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

My vision for Jukebox mode was twofold:

In the first place to have a view and interface that makes it possible to display and play your 'Singles' in an attractive manner.
That seems to have been nicely accomplished already.

My secondary intention was to make MusicBee welcoming to use by guests.
We probably all have the same experience that either guests don't dare to touch it, or that we don't feel comfortable having guests playing with our Bee.
(especially after a couple of drinks ;-)

But a Jukebox mode (together with lock-down) can change all that.
As 'admin' you can prepare some playlists, such as 'diner', 'party', 'chill-out', 'ballroom dancing', whatever.

If I imagine what I would then like my guests to be able to do:

- Scroll through the songs of such a playlist
- Play a song
- Skip to the next song
- Stop playback (to give me a speech and a toast)
- Change the volume
- Add a song to the now playing list

That's pretty much it.
For more advanced features you could temporarily unlock the player, perhaps move to another view or tab to make some changes, and then return to locked Jukebox.

---

I think there should be an icon on each card that will cue that song to the end of the playlist.
Some might prefer cue next, I prefer cue last:
Imagine when a guest has added a song to the cue, and is then waiting for it to be played.
If the next guest then presses 'cue' on another song, it would not be very nice if that song would play before the song of the previous guest.

If you do want to use 'cue next', you can give guests that you trust the secret [Ctrl-Shift-Enter] password.
(Or the smart ones could drag a song to the second position in the now playing list of course)

I created an icon that might be suitable for a 'cue last' icon.
It would look like this on a card:

download icon

---

Personally I think that any cue action for Jukebox mode should never cue up more than one single song.
It keeps the functionality straight forward and predictable, and limits the chance of guests making a big mess of a playlist.

---

Here is an impression of a skin I am creating for this purpose, it might give a better idea on how I would envision Jukebox mode being used.
(work-in progress)

---

Two technicalities:

The Albumart size slider sets the sizes for both Albumart and Jukebox view.
It would be nice if they were independent of eachother.

I am guessing this will probably happen in a next iteration, but I thought to mention it anyway:
I could not find a configuration settings panel for Jukebox mode where you can set what tags you want displayed on the cards.
While Title and Artist will be the obvious choices for the top and middle positions, for the bottom I myself e.g. would like to be able to use a virtual tag that displays the oldest known date for the song.

(and if I haven't run out of virtual tags, I might set 'upper case' for the title and artist, just as many real jukeboxes cards have it)
Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 08:56:04 PM by hiccup

phred

• Global Moderator
I agree 100% with the addition of a 'queue last' button. Perhaps there could be an option as to how the queue button works.

I would love to be able to select and or queue single tracks instead of the entire album.

Nice mock-up hiccup.

This view is really starting to have some legs. I look forward to watching it mature.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

Nice mock-up hiccup.

Thanks. Not a mock-up though, it's an actual skin at it's current state:

Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 08:51:12 PM by hiccup

Steven

• Administrator
http://www.mediafire.com/file/rkx9mn38mybdpaa/MusicBee.zip/file

- fixed the bugs with the play/pause/stop action
- picture scaler is now independent of the artwork views and is tweaked in its scaling so you may need to re-adjust
- play button only plays the selected track
- in the name of simplicity (i think having 2 play buttons will only be confusing to novice users and people will click the wrong button), I have kept it at one button. So if a track is already playing then the play button queues the clicked track last. I will probably display something like a "+" icon so its clear the track will be queued rather than immediately played
- double clicking plays the clicked track (irrespective of whether another track is playing)

phred

• Global Moderator
Confirming all the items listed in the previous post have been fixed and are working.

I like the idea of the + button to add a track to the end of the queue.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator
For the next update (not available yet) a different icon will display in place of the play button to indicate clicking it will cue the track.
And an extra skin element that must be defined if you are overriding the colours

Content[Cards].Button.Highlight fg=xxxx

beatlesdave270

I can't get it to work on mine. Shame because it looks fab.