Author Topic: Jukebox view  (Read 51974 times)

hiccup

As a convenient way to view and play your hits/singles:

Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 05:52:41 PM by hiccup

phred

• Global Moderator
Plus a million! This really would be enjoyable.

I wonder if it could be done with a bit-mapped skin by someone with way more talent than me.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

Plus a million! This really would be enjoyable.

I wonder if it could be done with a bit-mapped skin by someone with way more talent than me.

No, bitmapping only affects the player panel.
But if something like this was to be implemented, it would be nice if users could create their own background image for these jukebox cards.

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
+1

Oh, that's nice. Run that on a tablet for parties. Add a user-definable play-count limit or cooldown timer for played tracks in locked-down mode, and you've got a perfect party solution.
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

Alina

Oh yes, that would be great when you have friends visiting!

hiccup

Since this is now getting some more attention, let me explain a bit better what I am thinking of.
It's probably good to split my ideas on this in two elements:

The first is strictly about functionality and is the most essential one: Allow tracks to be displayed in a grid view.
This is currently impossible to achieve.

This would probably require a new main panel view, additional to the current 'Album covers', 'Albums and tracks' and 'Tracks'
Perhaps called 'Singles'?

It would be pretty much identical to the current 'Album covers' view, with the main difference that every image represents a single track instead of an album.
So in a basic implementation it would look pretty much identical to the 'Album covers' view.

A secondary aspect could be trying to make it look a bit more like a jukebox panel.
Traditional jukeboxes use cards with the artist and the title printed on it, and that's what I based the mockup in the start post on.
So instead of a square artwork image with artist and title info beneath it, a simple graphic design that can be lower in height, with the artist and the title overlayed on top of it.

The advantage of a basic (album-like) implementation would be that you (can) have square artwork for your singles.
But it will occupy much more vertical screen space per song, and it will take a lot of work to make sure all your singles indeed have artwork.

The advantage of the jukebox-like layout would be that you can have more singles displayed on your screen because each song graphic takes less vertical space, and there also doesn't need to be fields beneath it.
This will result in a clean design and less occupied space, so displaying more songs.
And you don't have to worry about artwork for your singles.

Also, if something like the latter would be implemented, perhaps there could be a skinning option where you can design your own 'jukebox card' and load it in your skin to have it match the skin's overall design.
Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 07:30:33 AM by hiccup

Clarence

@hiccup  I hadn't spotted this post until phred pointed it out when replying to one of my posts earlier.

I think it's an excellent concept, well thought out and I can see it working. What's more, I could see this being very popular with users and as a 'party/locked' item as well.

I also like your idea that users could create their own 'cards' to personalise it.

If, as phred indicated  here, https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=31530.msg174692#msg174692  that people giving it a +1 will not get it introduced, what will?

phred

• Global Moderator
If, as phred indicated  here, https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=31530.msg174692#msg174692  that people giving it a +1 will not get it introduced, what will?
In fairness to myself, I said it isn't likely to get implemented.

I assume this would require wholesale changes to MB's GUI (to add another 'view') so therefore it would be up to Steven. And if he even thinks it's possible and if he has the time. So perhaps the plus ones wouldn't hurt, but in the end it's up to Steven.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Maybe someone would be able to do it as a plugin? I haven't got comfortable enough with plugins yet to be sure.
Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 04:27:51 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Maybe a Jukebox themed Theatre Mode could work, as most of the info is already available..
Freddy

Clarence

I put that forward as a suggestion to the user who asked about a jukebox skin here https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=31530.msg174687#msg174687 but not something I'm proficient at. 

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Well I'm not so great at TM myself, but I did manage to create some that perfectly suit my requirements  without too much grief, simply by using a few of other people's designs  and using bits and pieces of their code (HTML).
A nice little project to keep you busy whilst in lock-down  8)
Freddy

Clarence

Feel free yourself, Freddy Barker  ;)

I'm still keeping an eye on the business as well as being fully occupied with other matters. The phrase "Not sure if I'm on foot or horseback" just about sums it up at the moment.

Lord alone knows where I used to find all that time to do things and work as well!  :'(

beatlesdave270

+1
I love the look of that Jukebox that would be great