Author Topic: Simple library question  (Read 1308 times)

NeilR

A very simple question ... I just can't work out which folders are included in my library. I set MB up a fair while ago but there doesn't seem to be a way to now view which folders are included. Nothing obvious in Preferences or under File > Library ? Thanks.

NeilR

Thanks Roby, That was quick ! Yes, I looked at that but the box below the Scan on Startup Only button is empty ? I guess something could be corrupted somewhere ?

Roby

frankz

Monitored Folders tells MB to scan the listed folders for new items going forward. That doesn't show all the folders that contain library items already.

The right way to do this is to be in the Library Explorer (Music Tab).  At the left, in the drop down, choose the Folder Name entry.  This lists all of the folders that contain music in your library.  Just each folder with the actual music, not any folder above it in the hierarchy.

To see the full path, display the path in the main panel.  You can sort by it, etc.

NeilR

frankz thanks very much. I couldn't find the Library Explorer anywhere on the left.  :( I had a poke around under the View menu but couldn't see anything obvious there until I clicked on Arrange Panels ! That allowed me to enable Library Explorer which showed a load of Mood information  ??? Then had to dig into the Panel Settings for Library Explorer Config and change to Group by Folder. Now I see the folders that constitute the library !!! I got there eventually but what a tortuous route for info that is the core of your music collection. MB seems SO versatile and configurable that although that makes it powerful, it also makes it very difficult to understand, especially for a newbee. One obvious addition would be the use of ellipsis ( ... ) for menu options that lead to a new dialog. I had no idea what was going to happen when I pressed 'Arrange Panels'. Were the panels going to suddenly be reconfigured automatically ? Ellipsis would have made it more obvious that a new level of dialog box would open. Anyway back to climbing the MB learning curve. Thanks again. :)

frankz

NeilR - you're talking about the Music Explorer, not the library explorer.

The library explorer, as I indicated in my post, is the Music tab at the top.  It is open by default.

http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Library_Explorer#Library_Explorer

NeilR

frankz. - Nope. I can see the Music Explorer icon (3 circles forming a triangle) in the left column below Now Playing but that's not what I'm using.

I'm just using the vanilla layout here nothing special. I have the black title bar at the very top with the '3 horizontal line' option button in the very top left. To the right of that is 'MusicBee with a dropdown arrow. To the right of that are the back and forward arrows. Underneath that whole black title bar is a row of grey tabs. The left most says "Library - Master". The dropdown from that has -
Hide Header Menu, Create New Library and Master - P:\My Music\.
Is this last part supposed to show all of the folders associated with the library? Because it's only showing that one entry P:\My Music which isn't correct. As I say, the new 'Folders' display that I enabled via Arrange Panels does show all 3 of the library folders correctly.
Does this sound like something is out of kilter?

frankz

OK, you are talking about the left side bar.

I'm talking about the left main panel.

When you're on the Music tab, you should have the thumbnail browser in the left main panel.  There is a drop down menu at the top of the thumbnail browser. Album, Album Artist, Artist, etc.  One of the selections there is "Folder Name"  That's the one I'm talking about.