Author Topic: Tag artist on soundtracks  (Read 2723 times)

Tybot

I've run into an issue with my music archive and I'm trying to come up with the correct/best way to handle it. It predominantly pertains to soundtracks of animated movies and where to put the involved peoples names. I'm going to use "Frozen" as an example and the song in question is written by Kristen Anderson-Lopez & Robert Lopez, performed by Idina Menzel and my tags currently looks like this:

Display Artist: Kristen Anderson-Lopez & Robert Lopez
Artist: Kristen Anderson-Lopez
Artist: Robert Lopez
Performer: Idina Menzel (Vocals)
Composer: Kristen Anderson-Lopez
Composer: Robert Lopez

Songs are most commonly displayed formatted as:

<Display Artist> - <Title>

This way of doing it only poses a problem when I try to do a lyrics search as it uses "<artist> - <title>" as the base of its search, which of course in my case turns up zero results.

Now, the alternative would be to put the performer of the vocals as the artist, but this gets out of hand quickly as some songs (especially some Disney songs) features the vocals of 4-5 different people. Trying to make a personal determination of which vocals are the most prominent ones isn't really a consistent way of dealing with the issue and wouldn't even work on some songs featuring equal parts by four different people.

I'd like to know if there's an official stand on what the correct way is to handle this is and also how you guys deal with it. Thanks in advance!

EuroMIX

You could probably make various arguments on how to tag music based on multiple factors including personal preference.

I'm going to use Moana as an example because it's very similar, and it's a Disney album I have tracks properly tagged for.

This is how I currently have Where You Are tagged:

Display Artist: Christopher Jackson, Rachel House, Nicole Scherzinger, Auliʻi Cravalho & Louise Bush
Artist: (all of the above separated out into individual Artist tag entries)
Display Composer: Lin-Manuel Miranda, Opetaia Foa'i & Mark Mancina
Composer: (all of the above separated out into individual Composer tag entries)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'd like to know if there's an official stand on what the correct way is to handle this is and also how you guys deal with it. Thanks in advance!

For things like musicals, operas, and soundtracks of things like this (music actually written and performed for the thing, not just used in it), is generally considered correct to use the main composer as the artist and tag singers as performers (which is what you have). This should actually get you ok results on lyrics searches, so maybe there's a different problem interfering with that. You could possibly make your own lyrics search with a custom web link, though.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Terry Walker

I just needed this. Was about to create a thread lol

ShayUrkell

You could probably make various arguments on how to tag music based on multiple factors including personal preference.

I'm going to use Moana as an example because it's very similar, and it's a Disney album I have tracks properly tagged for.

This is how I currently have Where You Are tagged:

Display Artist: Christopher Jackson, Rachel House, Nicole Scherzinger, Auliʻi Cravalho & Louise Bush
Artist: (all of the above separated out into individual Artist tag entries)
Display Composer: Lin-Manuel Miranda, Opetaia Foa'i & Mark Mancina
Composer: (all of the above separated out into individual Composer tag entries)

I'm going to take note of this. Thank you very much!