Author Topic: (Assumed) MalwareBytes False Flag  (Read 1468 times)

AndyBlak

Howdy folks!

I received a MalwareBytes flag this evening, which I assume is caused by MB's integration of web-based images for artist photos. I certainly understand that if that data is the cause of the flag, there's little need for worry. However, for the sake of precaution, I wanted to report for the purpose of due diligence.

Screenshot below. I've censored the IP of the offending domain, but can certainly provide it to admins upon request.

Thanks all!

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
That looks like it could be a legit threat. Where did you download MusicBee from?
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

Steven

• Administrator
saosin.bo.upaiyun.com is certainly not a site i recognise. If you are using a lyrics plugin, try disabling in Tags(2) preferences.
Also if you installed MB from any website other than this one, reinstall it

AndyBlak

Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

I got MB directly the site here. I will try reinstalling and disabling the lyric tag above.

Thank you!

AndyBlak

Hey guys, I did some testing and I think I may have isolated the issue. I'm using the Thimeo Stereo Tool DSP plugin (link). I get the MalwareBytes popup when the plugin window is opened. I'll certainly get in contact with their support team, but wanted to let y'all know what I think the source of the issue is.

AndyBlak

New development: unfortunately I was mistaken with my post above. I disabled the plugin I believed was the source of the issue and continue to get the pop-up. I noticed that the message appears when MB tries to load the Artist Picture. After the popup, artist pictures do not load.

I backed up my AppData folder for MB, then uninstalled and reinstalled directly from the download page. I also disabled the auto retrieval of lyrics in the Preferences as you suggested Steven.

However, I am still getting the same MalwareBytes popup every time I launch MB. I also ran a full system scan in MalwareBytes, which came back clean, and a BitDefender system scan, also clean.

Would it be helpful if I did a screen recording of the behavior?