Author Topic: 16/24bit depth column  (Read 12452 times)

Alumni

As this has come up quite often, i have now added database support for bit depth.
The value will be automatically saved for new files, but for your existing files, you will need to rescan them (right click/ Send To/ Rescan Files)
The new "Bit Depth" field can be displayed, sorted, filtered as any field

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_2/MusicBee32_Patched.zip

A very welcome addition, thanks for adding this!

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
I've found a couple of uses. Pairs nicely with sample rate.
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

frankz

Since no human could hear the difference between 16 and 24 bit without deafening themselves in the process, it'll be helpful to have a visual clue to see if any files are wasting the space.  ;D

Seriously, though, happy for those who wanted it.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
@ Steven
Thanks for doing this but I do have a minor issue.
After rescanning my library, I noticed my lossy compression files (mp3, aac, etc) are all showing a bit depth of 16.
As no lossy compression format has an associated bit depth, shouldn't they be blank or have N/A?
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Steven

• Administrator
As no lossy compression format has an associated bit depth, shouldn't they be blank or have N/A?
While you are correct, i felt most users wont know that and have the idea that its 16-bit. So less "bug" reports if its stated as 16-bit

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
I hadn't noticed that since I have such a small amount of lossy content. Audacity refers to MP3 and AAC files as "32-bit float." I suppose that's as accurate a description as any. But I really don't know if there's an industry standard. "Float" might be a good option, but I suspect the goal with this implementation is to keep the value down to two characters for nice, thin columns. I'd like suggest " 8) " and " ::) " as alternatives.
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)

Steven

• Administrator
Well i could change it to display "?" which is what foobar does. I still cant help feeling thats going to cause confusion to most people though.
If i did that, MB would treat the value as -1 in terms of sorting

redwing

For me both mp3tag and foobar show nothing for lossy format files when the field is added to a column.
I think MB could do the same thing.

Steven

• Administrator
for the next update i have changed it to show blank for lossy files. The value for filtering/ sorting purposes is 0
Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 05:16:32 PM by Steven

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
for the next update i have changed it to show blank for lossy files. The value for filtering/ sorting purposes is 0

No matter what you do, you're going to get people telling you it's wrong. At least this way, you're not giving a false answer and they'll be separate from actual 16 bit depth files for sorting.

ost

Hmm, before last update all my mp3 and m4a files was showing correct bit depth - 16 bit. Now it's Unknown Bit Depth  :-\

Steven

• Administrator
Hmm, before last update all my mp3 and m4a files was showing correct bit depth - 16 bit. Now it's Unknown Bit Depth  :-\
the change made is technically correct in that lossy files have an undefined bit-depth. But i suspect most people dont know that and think its 16-bit. I will leave it a day to allow for other's comments but i am inclined to revert it to show 16 bit for lossy files

ost

I think that "16 bit" looks better than "Unknown Bit Depth" even if it's not correct.