Author Topic: APE v ID3v2  (Read 3719 times)

Mark Morris

MB is without doubt the best MP3 organiser, and thanks for that. One issue though: many other pro users of MP3 files, need compatibility with broadcast playout systems which invariably use only APEv2 tags. If you set MB to write to APEv2, then nothing shows up in Explorer windows. If you choose to write to ID3v2, then any file tag written or edited in MB needs to be amended a second time, either in MP3Tag or in the playout software. It's very time-consuming and - worse - if you forget, then the station's website shows no information when the song is played. Is there any reason why MB can't have the user-option to choose to write both formats when a tag is edited, as MP3Tag does?
Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 09:37:41 AM by Mark Morris

Mark Morris

Is there any point to posting in a forum when I never get a reply?
Someone surely must have an answer to this?
Please?
 :(

boroda

i don't think someone has an answer (except for Steven). i dont know why there is no option to choose tag format. maybe its better to post a request on wishlist board? but your post must get many +1s to Steven implement it.

frankz

In one thread you can't figure out why tags are being duplicated.

In the other thread you're duplicating tags.

I'm thinking the two are related.

Mark Morris

In one thread you can't figure out why tags are being duplicated.

In the other thread you're duplicating tags.

I'm thinking the two are related.

I think you are correct, frankz. It's obvious when someone points it out. Many thanks...

frankz

Sometimes all it takes is fresh eyes looking at something.  Hope it helps!  :)

Mark Morris

Sometimes all it takes is fresh eyes looking at something.  Hope it helps!  :)

What's odd with the 'duplicate tags' issue is that it is just the tags I have 'customised' that repeat in the MB display (Intro, Geographical).
Album, title, year, etc, never get duplicated (and they also exist twice - in both APE and ID3).

Maybe I have messed up the 'Custom Tags' settings, which seem quite complicated to me...? I shall try changing them!

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
Maybe I have messed up the 'Custom Tags' settings, which seem quite complicated to me...? I shall try changing them!
I can see one error (in your "Custom Tags" post)
Your Album Artist is being saved to TXXX/Album Artist instead of the TPE2 frame for ID3v2 tags.

Maybe a pic of your Custom Tag Definition panel before you make any changes would be a good idea  :)
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Mark Morris

I can see one error (in your "Custom Tags" post)
Your Album Artist is being saved to TXXX/Album Artist instead of the TPE2 frame for ID3v2 tags.

Maybe a pic of your Custom Tag Definition panel before you make any changes would be a good idea  :)

Any good?

https://imgur.com/a/UxkK0

Bee-liever

Any good?

Geographical and Intro look correct.
Conductor is a standard inbuilt tag that writes to the TPE3 frame for ID3 tags.
Putting it in the custom tag won't override this.
You just get an extra tag:  TXXX/CONDUCTOR

Bee-liever

On checking this a bit more, it seems MB has handling in place for when using both ID3 and APE tags to stop them from being duplicated when displayed.
But it seems there might be a bug as it doesn't extend to Custom tags and also won't work on inbuilt custom tags if you change the 'display name'.

You might need to post this in the Bugs sub-forum for Steven to see this.

Mark Morris

On checking this a bit more, it seems MB has handling in place for when using both ID3 and APE tags to stop them from being duplicated when displayed.
But it seems there might be a bug as it doesn't extend to Custom tags and also won't work on inbuilt custom tags if you change the 'display name'.

You might need to post this in the Bugs sub-forum for Steven to see this.

That's brilliant and explains everything. Thanks - I'll post to Bugs