Author Topic: LikeADJ - A new way to become a DJ  (Read 29785 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
I'll give Mixx a try.
If you figure out how to get Mixx to write the BPM tag to the tracks, please let me know. And if you can figure out if files can be dragged to it, also let me know.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Mr. Trev

I'll give Mixx a try.
If you figure out how to get Mixx to write the BPM tag to the tracks, please let me know. And if you can figure out if files can be dragged to it, also let me know.

I quick poke around and it seems like preferences>library>tag meta sync>auto write, should write the tags to the files - at least initial key and bpm are showing up as extended tags in mp3tag.

I don't think files can be dragged and dropped, looks like you need to link folders to the library for analysis.

Just a quick impression after running the analysis on some files sitting on my SSD - I'm not quite ready to turn it loose on my entire library

As an asideā€¦ sweet mother do the fans on my new Lenovo Legion make some noise

phred

• Global Moderator
I quick poke around and it seems like preferences>library>tag meta sync>auto write, should write the tags to the files - at least initial key and bpm are showing up as extended tags in mp3tag.
This? It isn't writing BPM to MB. I'll give mp3tag a look.

I don't think files can be dragged and dropped, looks like you need to link folders to the library for analysis.
I agree. I'm about to uninstall it and stick with MixMeister BPM Analyzer.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Mr. Trev

This? It isn't writing BPM to MB. I'll give mp3tag a look.

Yup, that's the setting I was thinking about. I just popped one of the folders I analysed into my MB inbox, and BPM is showing up in the tag inspector on my install. I don't think I changed anything else in the prefs

phred

• Global Moderator
Yup, that's the setting I was thinking about. I just popped one of the folders I analysed into my MB inbox, and BPM is showing up in the tag inspector on my install. I don't think I changed anything else in the prefs
Okay... further testing shows that it does write the BPM tag, but unlike MixMeister, files need to be rescanned in order for BPM data to appear. With MM the data just appears. I'll be uninstalling Mixx as I'm not that concerned about the accuracy of BPM. It's not like I DJ where I would find it a valuable tool.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Astro Gaze

Autoplaylist! That's genius! I wish I had thought of that. Thanks for taking the time to run this test, @phred.

Looks like I'm late to the party, but how did your results come out?

phred

• Global Moderator
...but how did your results come out?
I couldn't really do a test on the 87 BPM tracks since you can't drag and drop with Mixx. And since a playlist typically has files in many directories, Mixx becomes worthless to me. You have to designate a directory and Mixx can then analyze the files within. So it might be fine if you have one directory that you use for your Inbox and then tag the BPM as part of the workflow. But for the test, I was stopped dead in my tracks (pun intended.)

It's uninstalled and I'm happy to be using MixMeister.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Astro Gaze

Could you get around that block by finding the biggest directory?
MusicBee > Main Panel > Tracks > Right Click Column > Set Displayed Fields > Path

Then open that directory in Windows Explorer and collect the 87 bpm tracks
Windows Explorer > Right Click Column > More > Beats Per Minute

Drag those 87BPM's to a temp folder, then add that folder to Mixxx?

I know you said it's uninstalled and over with, and I'm kind of interested in attempting this with my laptop. But I'm worried about time. Maybe my laptop is slow, but when I used MixMeister to analyze 3000 bpm tags, it took a day and a half. About the same for Mixxx. How long did it take you to analyze your 40,000?

phred

• Global Moderator
MusicBee > Main Panel > Tracks > Right Click Column > Set Displayed Fields > Path
Sounds doable. Report back with your results. Again, a) I happy with an approximate BPM, and b) I'm done with Mixx.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Mr. Trev

Then open that directory in Windows Explorer and collect the 87 bpm tracks
Windows Explorer > Right Click Column > More > Beats Per Minute

Drag those 87BPM's to a temp folder, then add that folder to Mixxx?

I know you said it's uninstalled and over with, and I'm kind of interested in attempting this with my laptop. But I'm worried about time. Maybe my laptop is slow, but when I used MixMeister to analyze 3000 bpm tags, it took a day and a half. About the same for Mixxx. How long did it take you to analyze your 40,000?

Yikes. When I did my trial run of ~3000 tracks with Mixx, I think it only took 10-15 minutes at worst. Granted, I have a shiny new AMD 6800H in my laptop.

@phred
What's your workflow & purpose for using this anyways?
For my use, I could just set Mixx to analyse my entire library on its own, then just rescan the tracks in MB to get the BPM and initialkey values for the plugin. Basically, it's the same process I've been doing with Picard and the Acousticbrainz plugin

DJC👽D

In the new version 2.0.17, I have improved Settings,....
In the next version, I will try to add LONG Openkey notation (actually only SHORT Openkey notation is supported) for Astro Gaze.
The download link of the newest DLL is on the first post of this thread.
Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 06:42:33 PM by DJC👽D

Astro Gaze

Yikes. When I did my trial run of ~3000 tracks with Mixx, I think it only took 10-15 minutes at worst. Granted, I have a shiny new AMD 6800H in my laptop.

Yeah, I've got an Intel Core i7 8550U from 5 years ago. Checkout this benchmark. Yours destroys mine!
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8550U-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-6800H/m320742vsm1786492

@phred
40,000 files is an astonishing collection! Do you work in the music or film industry?

Astro Gaze

In the new version 2.0.17, I have improved Settings,....
In the next version, I will try to add LONG Openkey notation (actually only SHORT Openkey notation is supported) for Astro Gaze.

Thanks for all your help. and considering my request, DJC👽D!

phred

• Global Moderator
@phred
40,000 files is an astonishing collection! Do you work in the music or film industry?
Neither, although I was a DJ in the mid-sixties through mid-seventies. A DJ then was not what a DJ is now.

The bulk of the early stuff was ripped from vinyl. The latter stuff ripped from CDs. And some stuff from the Live Music Archive.

My collection is mostly rock, with a fair amount of funk, jazz, and comedy mixed in.

And my collection is small compared to some of those reported here on the forum. The largest collection that I can remember was in excess of 700,000 tracks. https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=5318.0
Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 02:58:48 AM by phred

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

DJC👽D

In the new version 2.0.18, I have added LONG Open Key notation (Openkey/Traditional under Mixxx).
I use only Camelot (Lancelot under Mixxx  :) ) or SHORT Open Key (Openkey under Mixxx) notations, so I have no way to test.
But everything should be ok.
Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 10:51:21 AM by DJC👽D