Author Topic: Music Explorer custom Icons  (Read 5145 times)

ThY

Hi everyone.
I tried to put some custom PNG files in the \Users\username\AppData\Roaming\MusicBee\InternalCache\ArtistThumbs folder, to be able to change this defaut genre icon:

When i start Musicbee and go to the Explorer, the icon is displayed correctly (see first screenshot), but whenever i navigate in the left column, defaut icon come back. (see 2nd screenshot)

Is there some way to make it works ?
Is it possible to have some custom icons there ?

Thanks  :)

NickIst

I think you must replace or add pictures there C:\Users\username\Music\MusicBee\Artist Pictures\Thumb.

ThY

It doesn't work for the genre tags, they are still replaced by the white icon.

redwing

I don't think it's currently possible.

I have requested an icon override for that:

- Image overrides for "UnknownAlbum" and "UnknownGenre"

If this gets implemented, it would be possible by providing a custom icon for "UnknownGenre" to a skin.

ThY

Thanks for your answers.
As soon as i put pictures named along artist name, in the Users\username\Music\MusicBee\Artist Pictures\Thumb folder, it works.
The artists icons in the music explorer change accordingly.

It also works for genre tags in the same way, but briefly, as i enter the explorer tab, the last genre tag selected display the right custom icon, but as soon as i navigate in the left column, defaut icon come back.

It's like customizing those icons is something possible to do, but like something is blocking this possibility.

NickIst

It also works for genre tags in the same way, but briefly, as i enter the explorer tab, the last genre tag selected display the right custom icon, but as soon as i navigate in the left column, defaut icon come back.

It's like customizing those icons is something possible to do, but like something is blocking this possibility.
I had the same problem with artist thumbs, but it was resolved by deleting cached images, the same can block custom icons for genres. Unfortunately there is no such folder with other than artist or album thumbs available for a user in the directory. I think you should post it in the wishlist.

ThY

I did suggest it like 2 years ago, but no reactions.
Link

When it's about the cache folder, it works for the artists, but nothing else.

Steven

• Administrator
For the next v3.2 update i have added support for loading icons for: Grouping; Genre and Genre Category in the music explorer filter panel and header. The images should be square and at least 125px in size, but will be cropped to a circle in the header bar

As part of doing this, the custom Artwork location now defaults to:
- [root music folder]\MusicBee\Artwork\Artist Pictures
- [root music folder]\MusicBee\Artwork\Artist Pictures\Thumb
- [root music folder]\MusicBee\Artwork\Grouping Icons
- [root music folder]\MusicBee\Artwork\Soundtrack Pictures

There was support for genre icons in the thumb browser that used to look in [musicbee installation folder]\icons\Genre.
Those icons have been moved to:
- [root music folder]\MusicBee\Artwork\Grouping Icons

The artist and soundtrack folders are only reorganised if you are using default settings and will be reorganised automatically. You can still override the locations for artist pictures and soundtrack pictures in the Tags(1) preferences

ThY

That's some cool news.
Thanks for the information, keep up the good work !

ThY

Well thank you, this is working perfectly.
However i had trouble to make it work, but it was because i was using PNG files for the genres.
With JPG no problems.

The only thing i was not able to force / correct is the genre icon "Abstract Hip Hop" which appears on the header but not on the filter panel on the left, unlike the others icons.

That's a nice customization feature, i greatly appreciate :)
Btw, is the "Custom background" for the header new too ?

That's also nice, but kinda "frozen" right now.
I don't know if you are planning more for this background, but can i suggest the classic "fit", "centered" features to avoid the image to be stretched ?

Steven

• Administrator
MB nows includes .png files
and the icon for the first grouping should work now

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_2/MusicBee32_Patched.zip

If anyone reading this is willing to share genre/ grouping icons i am sure it would be appreciated. I recommend they be at least 250x250px in size as i may look to also include them in the artwork panel

ThY

Working great.
Thank you :)

Edit: now that i know it's working, i'll make a bunch of genre icons, and i'll share it.
I did it for flag icons some time ago.